Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SPDs clipping out
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Got my new pedals on, new cleats etc so decided to try to find out why I’ve never been comfy jumping on spds. After a lot of thought and riding around I realise that I clip out “by accident” both on takeoff and on landing (not in the same jump!). On raising my bike I tend to control it with my knees in the air, this pulls my heels in and clips out. If I dont clip out on the launch I clip out on the landing. I just feel like I cant manouvre the bike in mid air as any movement may unclip me (yes, been through the tension settings). Do I have odd legs? Am I the only one who clips out due to foot movements on jumps? This explains why I prefer doing jumps on flats instead of spds, despite being perfectly happy long term user of spds.

franki
    Free Member

Do you have the multi-release cleats?
    They unclip much more readily than the std ones, which should only release when you rotate your heels outwards.

I had a load of unplanned unclippings on steep climbs the weekend, but my cleats are worn out. Hope I can get the buggers off and not wreck (another) pair of shoes. 😉

geoffj

Have you tried different cleats? Some are multidirectional.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hmm my old cleats were multi release, the new ones are the ones that come with M520s so single release SH51s. Both unclip in both directions?

geoffj

Shoes too rigid (yes I know it sounds stupid).
    Some flexier ones may help. Ideally super stiff longitudinally, but a bit more flex laterally. Wow – think I’ve got something there 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Interesting thought – they are DH winter boots.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SPDs clipping out’ is closed to new replies.