Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SPD's – cleat wear and muliple pairs of pedals?
  • dawson

Just thinking about a new set of pedals to go on my other bike (following a recent PSA) but wondered how people go on with the different ‘wear-rates’?

I have noticed that on my current SPD’s my foot seems to be lifting out easily/unintentionally detaching from pedal

Is it the cleat that gets loose or the mechanism? i.e. how will a worn cleat behave with a new pedal?

probably not explaining myself very well!

cyclistm
    Free Member

It’ll be fine.

Its generally the cleat that wears first.

In my experience you will not damage a new pedal with an old cleat.

Scapegoat

Yep, use multiple SPD pedals on various bikes and wear cleats out well before any wear to any of the pedals.

dawson

If I got a new set of pedals that came with cleats, would I be better to change to the new cleats?

Would the new cleats be ok on the old pedals?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have three bikes with shimano spd pedals on them,

2x cheapo ones
    1x xt

The cleats wear out quicker than the jaw’s on the pedals, but the lifespan of the xt’s is about half the cheaper ones.

This is the exact symptom i get when the xt jaws wear out:

I have noticed that on my current SPD’s my foot seems to be lifting out easily/unintentionally detaching from pedal

So try your shoes in some other pedals first as your cleats may be fine.

As a rule I change things when they die now. So use the cleats as long as you can.

dawson

cool, cheers.

sandwicheater

Replace the cleats. Happened to me recently. Thought it was the pedal. New cleat and rock solid again.

Wear rate really varies per my post;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-long-do-your-spd-cleats-last

Scapegoat

I can confirm that it’s far more likely to be the cleat than the pedal. My lad couldn’t stay clipped into my XTs last week. No problem at all with my newer cleats, so new cleats ordered.

BillOddie

Assuming both wear but at different rates, in my experience:

Worn Cleats + Worn pedals = cleats pop out of pedals.
    Worn cleats + new Pedals = OK for a bit.
    New cleats + worn pedals = OK for a reasonable amount of time.

I think I have gotten about 3x sets of cleats wear out of a pair of pedals once. All the other times the bearings have gone or they have been mashed on rocks before the jaws wear out.

Also is it me or are cleats softer than they used to be?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SPD's – cleat wear and muliple pairs of pedals?’ is closed to new replies.