Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • spd's?
  • cocker
    Free Member

going to have another go with spd’s,now my knee back to full strength.
    any suggestions as to which i should try?
    is there some more all mountain,and more xc?

thanks

mallorcadave
    Free Member

The Shimano DX is my favorite for AM type riding the wider platform supports the foot and guides the cleat into place as well as giving you a bigger platform if you don’t get clipped in first time

munrobiker
    Free Member

A bigger platform like the shimano DX is of benefit when not clipped in (I have a set for sale for 20 quid) but a normal SPD is easier to clip into because there is only the cleat pocket to engage with, no cage. Only you can decide which is best. I also have some m520 pedals and shimano shoes in size 46 for sale if that is any good.

I used to use dxs but find that 99% of the time I am confident on my little xtr ones, provided I am clipped in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personal preference is for CB’s, much more float, much better clipping action and a much nicer release.

The down sides – bit more maintenance though you can put a bearing rebuild kit through them in 10 mins these days.

The Old stuff that doesn’t apply to the new pedals – they fall off the axle – not any more thats XTR
    The plastic cage is slippy – it’s made of metal on the candies

I used the Mallets in combination with a flat style shoe (5-10 minnars) for DH and the tougher AM stuff. Most of the time I’m not with Spec shoes and Candies but that is more to do with my confidence on the pedals rather than anything else.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time.
    Time.
    Time.

Buy Time, they do all sorts, including a bigger platform version. They’re superb. Especially if you have a dodgy knee.

Did I mention that you should buy Time pedals?

Maintenance? What’s that? I’ve got ten year plus old Times, still running smoothly.

cocker
    Free Member

spoke to local bike shop,and they recommended time atac.
    think i’m going to give these a try.does anyone know if they are ok for use with shimano am shoes?(one of my friends has got some for sale)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘spd's?’ is closed to new replies.