Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SPD woes – MW80 & DX M647 pedals
  • mulacs

Advice or ideas needed please!

Recently purchased some MW80 boots from ebay, good nic, barely used.

I used them for the first time on the mtb today (M647’s) and found that they had very little ‘float’ ie not a lot of lateral movement, vague to engage and generally quite uncomfortable. I used them previously on my CX bike with M520 pedals no bother, everything felt fine.
    I clipped the boot to the pedal to check when I got home and the sole seems to be fouling the cage of the pedal, limiting movement. I have a pair of MP66 which work fine with these pedals, albeit with SH56 cleats.

Anyone know if this is ‘normal’ ie shut up and bear it – if not what might be a solution? Cleats weren’t new (old pair I had lying about) but don’t look worn.
    Humm! 🙁

mulacs

bump for the sunday am crowd…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what is the clearance under the boot? Potentially there is too much sole under there. My CB cleats come with a thing plate to space them out a bit.

Quite common with winter boots.

AD

I just took a knife to the bottom of my shimano boots to get round this problem when I was using some old M636 pedals. I didn’t take off that much and it didn’t affect the grip – sorted the problem though.
    I thought about spacing with a plate but was keen to make sure the cleat remained recessed for scrambling about.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shims under the cleat should raise it up off the sole a little.

mulacs

cheers guys, as I expected. time to get the stanley knife out….

TimCotic
    Free Member

Tshhhhh – dump those whacky pedals and get some XTs or XTRs and yoi’ll be fine.

mulacs

trimming shoe = £0
    New pedals = £80.
    Tough call…

phatstanley
    Free Member

i also took a stanley knife to the shoes.
    sorted it out just fine.
    the rubber is nice n’ soft and easy to pare away…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SPD woes – MW80 & DX M647 pedals’ is closed to new replies.