Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • SPD Winter boots with a sole a bit more enduro than trail
  • thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I could do with some new boots, as I find the sole of my current northwave arctic a bit stiff and lacking grip in rocks, so would like something with a sole similar to 5/10 or spec 2f0. Anyone know of a water proof and warm ones that would fit the bill

Thanks

psling
    Free Member

What exactly does “a sole a bit more enduro than trail” actually mean? Serious question.

poah
    Free Member

only issue I have with my winter boots (northwave arctic) is the lack of grip if you are unclipped. My northwave enduro shoes are much better in that respect because they actually have a grippy sole

nickc

winter flatties? or winter spds with a flattie type sole?

TBH, neither of those things exist really. Decide what you’re willing to compromise on, and buy those.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

@poah, yes, same problems, hence the question, I need artic boots, with enduro sole

@nickc
    , yes, winter Spds with a flatter sole. I hadn’t heard or seen any, hence the post to all you helpful folk

@psling
    , without getting in to heated debate on the difference, maybe I should have said more DH than XC

TheBrick
    Free Member

Interested too. For non trail center riding I like SPD but hate the soles they put on them that seems to be designed to be as slippery as possible on anything that is not muddy grass.

poah
    Free Member

@thomasgeorge

don’t think there is one out there. I’ve been using my northwave enduro shoes of late with multiple layers of socks/sealskinz. sprayed the shoes with nikwax. if it was really muddy I’d put up with the goretex boots.

fossy

Perfectly happy with my Shimano MW7 for wet performance, but I’m not one for walking in them. They do OK up the rocky climbs, but they are very stiff –

scotroutes

Nothing from Mavic?

They use the Salomon Contragrip sole rubber.

e.g. https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/xa-pro-h2o-gtx-r-shoe-c5540.html#1028=3436

Del

the lake mx145 are pretty grippy.
    otherwise the shimano mt91 or whatever the latest version is. i’ve had mt90 and mt91 over the years. they’re pretty good.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Thanks scotroutes, they look good, but I fear with since a grippy sole they may be a nightmare getting in to the cleats, I’m using HT X2 pedals, and with the pins, turning your foot isn’t the easiest with grip like that.

scotroutes

My other suggestion was going to be Northwave Gran Canions (which is what I use) but I assume they’ve the same sole as you Artics – ad might also give you the same unclipping problem.

I guess the obvious answer is to get pedals with no pins 🙂

(I’ve never really understood the pins + cleat argument)

jam-bo

Thanks scotroutes, they look good, but I fear with since a grippy sole they may be a nightmare getting in to the cleats, I’m using HT X2 pedals, and with the pins, turning your foot isn’t the easiest with grip like that.

So you want a grippy sole that isn’t grippy?

trail_rat
    Free Member

im a convert to riding in my shimano goretex hiking boot alikes most of the year.

think of it more as a walking boot with a cleat – it actually functions well as a hiking boot.

i had the mw02s and diadora chilli winter boots before these.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yeah, as above I’m a big fan of shimano xm9 boots. They work well as spd boots but comfortable and grippy enough to climb a few of the Torridon munros as well.

carlos
    Free Member

I’ve just got some of the 2018 Nothwave X Arctic GTX winter boots. They’ve a Michelin sole which is reasonably flexible and seem grippier than the last Northwave boots I had. Still comfy to walk in, warm and waterproof.

twonks

Just bought myself a pair of the Scott gore tex boots from Start Cycles as a PSA a few days ago.

Normally just wear my summer shoes with thicker socks and overshoes in winter, but this year went for the boots as the price is good and I needed some more shoes anyway.

They look to be full of good ideas to keep feet warm and dry and the soles are grippy.

First ride tomorrow so will report back if anybody is interested.

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/scott-mtb-heater-gtx-mens-cycling-shoes-grey-240503-1001.html

tweedviper
    Free Member

I have been using Northwave Canion GTX for a while now and they have been perfect, very warm and dry, grippy sole for walking (pushing) with recessed cleats so not clunky. I use them with CB Mallets and had to wind the rear pins in to make it easier to unclip.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-footwear/northwave-gran-canion-2s-gtw-winter-boots-black/11173152.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&variation=11173153&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000008963581&gclid=CjwKCAiAxuTQBRBmEiwAAkFF1rmId7kFXTqLegIEkVcYGst-WFpInc6p2wxKXFUds9kf-btw1ZpObRoCKNcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIK2luqU2tcCFVauUQodr5sMEw

fadgadget
    Free Member

I use Lake MXZ303 Winter Boots and Northwave Arctics and I agree that the Northwaves have a very stiff and slippery sole. The Lakes however are the best boots I’ve ever had and there is no problem whatsoever clipping into Shimano pedals, however using pedals with a cage might be a different problem. If you value waterproofing, warmth and a good tread, have a look at the Lakes.

aP
    Free Member

Northwave Gran Canion 2 GTX might work for you?

chipster

I’ve just retired my Shimano MT90s, had them 10, or 11, or 12 years, so they’ve lasted.
    I’m on Lake MXZ303s, now. If they last me until I’m 70 (58 now), I’ll be happy. 8)

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Thanks all for assistance. Would appear Northwave have brought out lots of new stuff since I looked, and the northwave yeti looks like it should do the job, so down to the lbs to get some ordered.

cb200
    Free Member

northwave yeti looks like it should do the job, so down to the lbs to get some ordered

Did you get These? How do they work with flats?

Carbis

Missed this first time around, how do people find the sizing? I got a pair of the Gran Canions for my wife but despite sizing up they were too small. The Scott Heaters look good, so I’m interested in how you are getting on with them.

vincienup
    Free Member

more DH than XC

Seriously? Is that schtick still out there?

Can’t you just select ‘pink’ in the colour option filter? That would be enduro?

onandon
    Free Member

so down to the lbs to get some ordered.

By posting on here I assume you’re aware the internet will also connect to other sites, some of which will sell these shoes and post them to you.
    This is a public service announcement…….

psling
    Free Member

on and on – Member

[so down to the lbs to get some ordered.]

By posting on here I assume you’re aware the internet will also connect to other sites, some of which will sell these shoes and post them to you.
    This is a public service announcement…….

Support your LBS 🙄 They can be really useful if you use them and get to know them.

onandon
    Free Member

Nope. I don’t agree.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nope. I don’t agree.

we cant help it if you have a shit lbs but there are A LOT of gems out there in LBS world.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘SPD Winter boots with a sole a bit more enduro than trail’ is closed to new replies.