Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • SPD, walk/hiking AND pub shoe?
  • james
    Free Member

I usually use ‘normal’, ‘XC-racer’ type SPD shoes without any problems when riding, but in all honesty don’t make the best shoe to walk/push up mountains in, not just because the soles/studs/cleat seem to suffer lots in wearing down.

In a supermarket/garage/shop when food buying pre/post-ride they’re not the easiest to walk in and make a silly noise
    They’re not exaclty ideal to drive in (not made that mistake after a ride again), and I find changing shoes to drive an annoyance.
    Same goes for the pub afterward. It’d be much easier if I didn’t have to bring another pair of shoes along

What’s decent to handle riding properly with SPDs (stiff(ish) sole), will hike-a-bike almost as well as a non-ankle-supported hiking shoe/boot and be passable in a pub. Any idea if anything is driveable in too?

Specialized Tahoe?
    Shimano MT? something?
    What else?

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t want much, eh? Perhaps something you can tap-dance in as well might be nice too though?

The Shimano MT90 is pretty close to what you want, good ankle protection, waterproof (but water goes in top easily), Vibram sole is pretty good for walking bits – but it isn’t as good as a proper hiking shoe, even though it looks just like one.

Haven’t tried the rivals, but my MT90s are holding up well after a couple of years.

Wouldn’t drive in them, too stiff, just keep trainers in the car!

cynic-al
    Free Member

ride flats. Moon on a stick otherwise.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair Shimano MT90 boots and Specialized Taho shoes and I think both fulfill your requirements. I’m perfectly happy walking, driving, pubbing or working in mine. It depends whether you want a Goretex-lined boot or a relatively airy shoe. But I’d recommend either.

james
    Free Member

“ride flats. Moon on a stick otherwise”

I don’t like them since getting used to SPDs

My feet fall off on drops, I have to pedal slower, I have to ‘think’ about keeping my feet on the pedals when it gets rough. They hit the sides of ruts easier ..
    Though they would suit every other off the bike need much better

sssimon
    Free Member

mt41 sounds about right

GW
    Free Member

walking boots are mental grippy with flats (as are wellies)

chakaping
    Free Member

Footnote (pun intended): I’ve used the MT90s with flats a few times and they do stay in place well thanks to the deep lugs – but the pins have really torn into the sole.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Some of the Lakes now have a Vibram sole.

As for the hassle of changing shoes before / after – you can’t be serious surely?

uplink
    Free Member

and I find changing shoes to drive an annoyance.

Doesn’t take much to annoy you does it?

Anyway, Cannondale do [did] some reasonable candidates for your unreasonable request I’ve still got a couple of pairs of Aragos from a few years back & I pretty much think they cover your needs I just don’t think you’ll find them any more – there may be newer models that’ll do it though.

redthunder
    Free Member
    stumpy01

I bought some Shimano MT32s from Merlin last week. They are doing a cracking deal where you can get some 520 pedals for £15 if you buy the shoes. Anyway……..so far, I have found them very comfortable, and they look pretty good too.
    Pretty stiff, and the toe box is nice and rigid to protect your tootsies. Only problem I have is a bit of heel lift, but I seem to get that in all shoes.

Lemurian
    Free Member

Been riding 661 filters for over a year now, great set of shoes. Look like a flat shoe but are spd compatible. They come up a bit higher than xc-racer type shoes, so ankle support is great. Only potential drawback is that they aren’t waterproof. The sole also isn’t as stiff as racer shoes, this means they are much easier to walk in but need a bit of a platform to support them (I presume – have only ridden them with a platform-type spd pedal). Pimpy in white 🙂

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24882

ransos
    Free Member

I have Shimano MT51s – they’re perfect for touring as they’re comfortable enough to wear to the pub in the evenings.

james
    Free Member

“As for the hassle of changing shoes before / after – you can’t be serious surely? “
    It’d be easier if I didn’t have to bother

“[cough] Lidl [/cough]”
    According to the page they only go upto size 11, which won’t fit

“661 filters”
    They don’t look to have a lot of tread for hike-a-bike in wet mountainous terrain though
    “Pimpy in white”
    I suspect they would turn brown-ish pretty quickly

Thanks for all the input

druidh
    Free Member

MT90s are great if you want a boot typr.
    Specialized Tahoes are a good stiff sole but with “walking” tread.
    I use either for hikey-bikey stuff

zaskar
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at this today too.

I need a shoe for flats, road or mtb commuter and one I can pop into Tesco with.

I ended up buying Shimano MT32.

Also the Shimano DX PM55 is quite comfy too.

sputnik
    Free Member

These look fantastic, I am lusting after a pair of these. But £109.99 !!!!!

Inzane
    Free Member

Do you guys get Pearl Izumi over there. Their X-Alp series sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

I did a mini review of them here http://www.derailled.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=132&hilit=alp

james
    Free Member

“Their X-Alp series sounds exactly like what you are looking for”

How does that differ to a ‘normal’ ‘XC-racer’ type shoe? The tread just looks a little less chunky and spread out

They’re not exactly going to pass as hiking shoes/boots or trainers in the pub either with the buckle, which going from friends experience with (specialized and shimano) buckles isn’t going to cope with mud/grit very well at all

Inzane
    Free Member

James, there are a bunch of different shoes in the X-Alp series. Only the very top level one has the buckle.

The sole basically has the same sort of foam padding under the heel as a running shoe, and a reasonably chunky outsole for grip.

Try having a gander at the Pearl Izumi site… http://www.pearlizumi.com/shop.php?pc_id=43&mode=products

user-removed
    Free Member

OMG – just checked out that Lidl link and my local store is going to be stocking unicycles for £35….. Used to have one years back – bought from a Scottish clown called Haggis.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Removed is sat right next to me saying, ‘NO!’.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘SPD, walk/hiking AND pub shoe?’ is closed to new replies.