Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • spd v knee pain !
  • voodoo_chile

what clipless pedals do you reckon have the most float, used shimano for a long time now but now getting pain thinking of going to another brand .Any thoughts anyone ?

radoggair
    Free Member

knee pain is not so much about float ( shimano's is quite good though) but more about cleat set up. Try resetting your cleats in a different position until the problem is solved

druidh
    Free Member

Try Crank Brothers. Coming from SHimano, I find them a lot more "floaty" – so much so it took me a while to realise I was actually clipped in at all.

bigsi
    Free Member

Some of the guys i ride with use Time pedals as they used to get knee pain with spd's but don't anymore.

Chew
    Free Member

Agree with radoggair. Float may help a bit, but proper setup will help a lot. I've had issues but found that moving the cleat sideways, my foot is further out across the pedal straighting out my knee.

Gary_C

When I first went over clipless,I used shimano 520's & after a few rides was suffering from knee pain,but despite changing cleat positions,couln't get rid of said pain.

Changed pedals over to crank bros candy's,& the extra float cured the knee pain,but that was replaced by a pain in the @rse by having to rebuild the pedals every few rides….

So,a few months later went back to 520's & took the time to set the cleats properly,& fortunately havent suffered knee pain since.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Used to have bad knee pain (in my right knee) when i had spd's. Switched to time atac's and never had it since.

Didn't notice any changes in cleat set up to be honest

steveh

As above I started getting knee problems (not caused by the pedals) a few years ago and no amount of cleating fiddling would sort it out, a switch to time pedals and all has been fine since.

voodoo_chile

tried fore and aft movement and side to side and changing the angle been using them for about 15 years but all of a sudden knee starting to throb knees who needs them !!!

Blower
    Free Member

Time.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Yep, Times every, er, time…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

specialized shoes fixed mine the BG stuff really seems to work, as for more float my candys & mallets are doing well

coatesy
    Free Member

Speedplay Frogs, float with these is actually rotational rather than side-to-side slop of other types, couldn't get on with Times because of the sideways movement(my feet used to go out over the edge of the pedals), but the Speedplays are very controlled in the way they float, and have no spring tension to load up against your knees either. Cartridge/needle roller bearings, and grease ports too, useful for our weather.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘spd v knee pain !’ is closed to new replies.