Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SPD shoes – Spec 2FO Lite or AM9s?
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Looking to replace my tired AM45s and like the looks of these two. The AM9s appeal as I’ve always work Shimano and like the lace cover as it works well as a splash shield when it’s wet, but the 2FO Lites have the Boa system which I like the sound of. Have sli-mish and think the Boa system might be better than laces for me?

Anyone tried both and have an opinion?

Thanks

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Bump

slimporcini
    Free Member

Five-ten Kestrels look pretty sweet too

Rorschach
    Free Member

Crc have the M163’s for £75,which are basically less ‘special’ looking AM9’s.
    Got mine as all my other shoes are full carbon soled jobbies and wanted something with a bit more ‘give’.

philstone

No experience of the 2FOs but went from AM45 to AM9, really impressed. Much lighter but just as comfortable.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had a pair of the non non ‘lite’ Specialized’s & they were an awesome SPD shoe, found them really comfy & worked well.

Annoyingly, the sold started to split around the harder plastic of the cleated area, it just looked like it wasn’t bonded properly.

They are better than the 5-10 Maltese Falcon LT’s I have. Specialized were really good about the issue, they didn’t have any in my size so it was an instant refund, after a whole summer seasons riding – they were battered anyway.

I would (and am seriously considering) the ClipLite’s as I will probably stick with clips now anyway to replace my 5-10’s.

I have no experience of Shimano shoes, and I know for some the benefit of them is the big flappy lace cover, but I wouldn’t wear something that hideous, so couldn’t even consider them. I’d rather have wet feet or wear some waterproof socks.

SirHC

Have a pair of the specialized 2F0’s, quality is much better than 5.10’s, they also dont’t soak up the water like 5.10’s do and dry out a lot quicker.

I have a pair of cliplites on order and should be here this week. The boa system is really good, I have a pair of the comp mtb’s and makes adjusting the tension whilst riding very easy and also in small increments, unlike a ratched system which is course in comparison.

MSP

I have five ten kestrels, spesh 2fo clips and clip lites. Thet all have there minor problems.

The spesh clips, I don’t like the plasticy upper, it doesn’t conform to the foot very well and gets uncomfortable after a while around the midfoot area where you fasten them up.

The clip lites are better in that respect, but the uppers are still pretty rigid, they really expect to make your foot conform to the shoe not vice versa. Also the toe box cuts in narrower than the original clips, on me it crunches up the smaller toes just a tad.

The five ten kestrel are the best of them IMO, stiffer and lighter than the other and also more comfortable, but the toe box is very flat it feels a bit weird and doesn’t really allow you too wiggle your toes around.

They are all pretty similar for hike a bike stuff

I find I like to kick them all off to give my feet a rest if we stop for a cafe stop.

Have a pair of the specialized 2F0’s, quality is much better than 5.10’s, they also dont’t soak up the water like 5.10’s do and dry out a lot quicker.

I find the kestrels and the spesh 2fo shoes indistinguishable on that front.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Not too keen on the look of the Kestrels but will make an effort to try them all on and make a decision based on what fits the best.

Cheers

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Interesting read and I did think that the single BOA would restrict adjustability somewhat.

Thanks

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Tried some on today in Evans – they didn’t have my size in the Lite but they were super light and the regular 2FO was very comfy so I think I’ll bite the bullet and order some.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Got the 2FO Lites in the end and love em! Much much lighter than my old AM45s and whilst nice and stuff, they’re still good to walk in. The cleat sits nice and far back too which is better and they interface very well with my Mallet-E pedals.

The double BOA setup is ideal – don’t see how a single one would be very good.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got normal lace up 2FOs. They do dry very quickly but they also let in way more water than my AM41s did. Not surprising given the differences, and it doesn’t bother me anyway, but it’s worth noting. I like them though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SPD shoes – Spec 2FO Lite or AM9s?’ is closed to new replies.