Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Spd shoe setup – muscle fatigue in outside of foot.
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I’m a fan of Shimano brand shoes. I have a pair a size larger than usual that i switch to for winter, so i can wear thicker socks. Just made the switch, and i have found i get a crampy, burning, muscle pain in the outside of just one foot after quite a short distance. I remember getting it last year too, but didn’t associate it with my winter shoes.

I can’t find anything obviously wrong with my cleat setup but would like to ask others for experiences, thoughts…

Is there anything i should be doing with my cleats for this type of discomfort, or could it be that the larger shoes are flexing or supporting in the wrong place?

ajantom

Small pedals or ones with a larger platform?

I find that I get a bit of pain/hotspots with small pedals on longer ride, so prefer ones with a cage or platform, i.e. CB Mallets.

I’d also try moving you cleats back, so you’re supporting yourself more on the middle of your foot.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Small pedals, but its not a hot spot where the pedal touches, its down the outside of my foot.

imp999
    Free Member

I had trouble with some Specialized SPD shoes. It was the insoles.
    I ended up making some out of cork that kicked my foot over.
    Specialized wanted big money for various insoles at various angles so I recon they were made with a bias.

robbo1234biking

I have a similar problem with my shimano winter boots. Just don’t seem to be comfortable. No solution yet might try some insoles this year. My Specialized bg shoes are fine though. SPD position is about the same.

P20

I tried some Adidas cycling shoes on years ago, I got pain along the outside of my foot straight away, didn’t even have the straps down up. Never had the problem with other brands, presumably just the wrong shape. I’ve used shimano race, trail and winter boots without issue however. Like you I’m normally a 42, but go up to a 43 for the winter boots

ctk
    Free Member

Put the cleats as far back as they’ll go and give that a try. Solved similar issues for me on road bike.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Some good ideas here – will try moving cleats back some more. Ta!

funkweasel
    Free Member

Just watch your knees when you move cleats. Any pain and they’re not right for you.

shifter
    Free Member

I get on well with Specialized shoes. I recently tried Shimano and needed to fit wedges to cant my feet over a bit. LBS had some at a nice price.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I have a massive love hate relationship with being clipped in. One of the issues I have is my feet feeling crampy especially around my toe area. I think it could be todo with the stiffness of the sole as i’ve tried everything else including drilling the soles to put the cleat back as far as possible and moving up a shoe size. I don’t get it after a short ride though unlike you. My current attempt to make my feet happy is to put shoe liners in for a bit more comfort.

steve_b77
    Free Member

P20 – Member
    I tried some Adidas cycling shoes on years ago, I got pain along the outside of my foot straight away, didn’t even have the straps down up.

I get that with Mavic shoes, funnily enough as Adidas own Mavic AFAIK

blader1611
    Free Member

Check you are not putting them on too tightly. I was getting the same sensation as you in both feet so i loosened off the two lower velcro straps and kept the ratchet fixing the same and voila now pain free. I think they may have been pinching my feet ever so slightly thus my foot was not quite fully supported so straining particular spots on my feet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Spd shoe setup – muscle fatigue in outside of foot.’ is closed to new replies.