Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SPD PEDALS ARE THEY WORTH GETTING
  • dannymite1981
    Free Member

Hi.Ive been thinking about getting some spds as im sick of my feet slipping off the pedals when going downhill but was wondering if they are worth it or not.I mainly mountain bike xc in the peak district and want to improve my skills so would like to know if they are worth getting or not thanks.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Yes.

andyruss
    Free Member

Only way to ride xc imo

danielgroves
    Free Member

Without a doubt, yes. Most people I know run theme whatever discipline they ride these days, XC, Trail, Enduro, DH, the lot.

I’d be lost without them these days.

svalgis
    Free Member

NO

jackal
    Free Member

DEPENDS.
    Definitely won’t improve your skills though, probably the opposite.

😉

Northwind

They can be. But, they’re not the right fix for your problem.

If your feet slip off the pedals, it’s almost certainly because you’re not weighting them right, and not moving effectively with the bike. If you switch to SPDs, obviously they can’t slip off but you’ll not fix the technique problem. And that’ll still have an impact on your control of the bike. Not ideal.

(though, it could also be a pedal issue to be fair- what are you using now?)

I’m a flats user, no choice in the matter but I honestly reckon SPDs are better than flats in most circumstances. However personal taste is far more important than what’s “better” unless you fancy yourself as an elite racer.

andymc06
    Free Member

No. IMO the possibility of injury both from ill fitting spds and failure to unclip far outweighs the minor efficiency gain. As above you will not improve your issues using spds.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well I can’t do without them now. Even on DH bits I have to be clipped in!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No. IMO the possibility of injury both from ill fitting spds and failure to unclip far outweighs the minor efficiency gain.

Get eggbeater style or time atacs – no problem at all getting out when needed and you can always dremel the angles of the cleats down to make release even easier if required.

These pedals ‘clear’ mud better – if you fill an SPD with mud (because you had just stood or dabbed in some mud) you might find it difficult to get out whereas this doesn’t happened with the ‘bar’ style pedals.

Everyone is right about technique though – try dropping your heels, etc. See Jedi…

bellerophon
    Free Member

I found getting unclipped from SPDs quite straight forward once I had set the tension right on the Shimano ones I used, the mallets were even easier, especially if you crash properly 😉

Recently I switched to flats, first DMR V8s and now Superstar Nanos, and to be honest I found initially my feet slipping of. Since then I’ve changed shoe from a vibram soled one to a skate shoe (airwalk cheap from sportsdirect) and I find the grip much better.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Time pedals for me. I wouldn’t be without clip in pedals, I have no probs whatsoever getting out of them when needed, and even get my inside foot unclipped on downhill bends with a loose surface to cover a slip. Yes it takes some skill to ride flats, but it is a skill only related to riding flat pedals. Flat pedals will no more improve you’re riding than clip ins. Clip in pedals are significantly more efficient and faster on climbs and the flats and if your pedaling technique is good you’ll get more traction too, as the transition from one leg to the other is smoother. However I’m more used to riding them as it is all I’ve ever ridden on road and mountain bikes. Also no need to wear sweaty, itchy, uncomfortable shin pads.

PrinceJohn

WORTH A TRY – BUT EXPENSIVE TO TRY IF YOU DONT GET ON WITH THEM.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

As northwind said!!
    Depending on your pedals/shoes (they’re not plastic pedals with rigid plastic shoes are they?) it sounds like you’re struggling with technique more than anything. If world cup downhillers keep their feet on then you’ve got to wonder what is wrong with your current setup. Get your heels down possibly?
    Going to Spds might just lower your technique level.

Now if you were wanting to know if they’re better for getting power down for climbing/sprinting then yes. But for improving skills they’ll likely do the opposite – they aren’t the answer to feet coming off.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SPD PEDALS ARE THEY WORTH GETTING’ is closed to new replies.