Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spd pedal recommendations?
  • rollsroyce
    Free Member

I’ve run shimano m647’s for a couple of years but they’re starting to feel a little tired (and look!).
    Just got my new bike (t-129s) and fancy treating myself to some new pedals too.
    Any recommendations? Anyone run crank bros mallet 2’s or time xroc’s?
    I prefer to ride with a bit of a cage for those dabbing moments on sketchy trails.
    Shoes are am45’s.

Scapegoat

XT M785 trail. I love mine.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

How do you find them after unclipping? As in, can you clear sections unclipped after dabbing?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallet 3’s here, great pedals. The redesign seems good and the pedal can be properly taken apart for maintenance (insert joke here CB haters) Had the previous ones and these are just as good for the action and clip/platform/pins and should be easier to do a bearing swap.

To get the best you want to be using a flat soled spd shoe really.

As a rule I generally don’t dab that much and can clip with 99% sucess if I do, however they do still ride fine as a flat style pedal for the moment inbetween but the shoes (5.10 minaars) do help. Also looking at the new Teva clip shoe that I saw on their promo stand at a race.

rickmeister

Time Attak, all the float of Cb anythings but with no maintainance shizzle.

Thread closed…

Scapegoat

The cage makes it more of a target for clipping back in after dabbing. They don’t offer much grip to be fair, but they do mean you can get another stroke in if you have to unclip. I ride mince core by the way, not dh or free ride!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 XT M785 trail

That’s what I’ve gone to after the 647s. Just as good but quite a bit less heft.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

I like the look of the mallet 2’s with the flat style pedals. Be nice to ride sections unclipped. Just unsure about spring tension and release angle etc. I really like shimano system but not lack of a caged pedal. Might try some crank bros that a mates got to see if I get on with the retention system etc. bit wary of reliability tho!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The platform is good for getting by, better than the Shimano but the spring still sits proud of the pedal. However I was surprised at how easy it was to ride in sandles last night…

Reliability is one of those things…I’ve had mallets and candies and the bearings need replacing. Look up the tech data on whats in the 2 & 3’s as it is different. The newer design means you can split the cage for easier access to the bearings and rebuilds. Mine have done a good hard year, the missus has a set that need a new set of bearings.

In the end it’s all compromise but the right shoes help.

jambon
    Free Member

I’m a TIME fan – love the float, hate being clipped in hard. Times seem to last almost forever too. AND they work better in mud – no real moving parts to get clogged up.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Time ATACs here. Some might be ROC or whatever, at the cheaper end of the model range, on 3 bikes.

No maintenance, last as long as Shimano, clear mud like EggBeaters.

starrman82
    Free Member

XT +2, you should have known.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time.

Tough as old boots, great float, great engagement, great mud clearing, and, basically, just great.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve got some ATTACs that are over 15 years old and still going strong.

xiphon
    Free Member

I swear by the M647 + AM41 combo.

Use it on: DH, XC and race BMX.

Haven’t found a better platform pedal for clipping into (in a hurry) and riding ‘unclipped’ for a short while

hambl90
    Free Member

Times here too, won’t use anything else.

bawbag
    Free Member

XT M770 are great normally but had a nightmare recently when riding in snow and ice. Just couldn’t get them to engage. Are any models better in snow? Maybe something with a platform would have been better.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

XT M770 are great normally but had a nightmare recently when riding in snow and ice. Just couldn’t get them to engage. Are any models better in snow? Maybe something with a platform would have been better.

The shimano design doesn’t cope with snow/mud/ice very well.
    The CB design does as it’s got nowhere for the crap to stay. Same with Time i think.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spd pedal recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.