Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SPD peadlling stroke, toe or heel
  • shanta
    Free Member

Just been having a bit of a debate about the correct way to pedal with cleats. Obviously its a push pull in a circular motion but do you keep your toes lower than your heels or not?

shanta
    Free Member

Interesting…what about the toes bit though i wonder?

druidh
    Free Member

Toes above heel at the top of the stroke, below heel at the bottom. That uses the calf muscles for a bit extra power.

nealy
    Free Member

More info that pulling up isn’t necessary.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Which-Muscles-are-Really-Used-During-the-Pedal-Stroke-2012.html

Just do whatever feels natural with foot angle although heel down takes strain off the smaller calves letting the larger upper leg muscles do the work and keeps your legs relaxed letting you ride smoother.

Macavity
    Free Member
    ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I was told not to worry but to think about the stroke from back to front, a flatline for the ball if your foot. It usually leave your toe pointing down mostly but we’re all different.

tang
    Free Member

I like a little toe down on flatter big gear sections(mainly road). On peddley single track and sitting climbs I find a relaxed ankle gives a nice even stroke(bit like druidh). Heels down when hooning down hill!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was taught not to pull up but to wipe dog poo from the bottom of the shoe. Also, keep supple through the stroke rather than having one leg fighting the other. I think generally, my toes are a little lower but that must change somewhere as I have fairly large calves.

vondally
    Free Member

so using that techinque, wiping poo from sole of foot, flats just as effective?

chiefgrooveguru

My understanding is that it’s best to focus on initiating the downstroke earlier, by pushing forwards across the top of the stroke, rather than trying to extend the downstroke backwards as that usually leads to the other leg starting the downstroke too late. The other thing I’ve read which makes a lot of sense regarding powerful pedalling is that it’s more like deadlifting than running.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SPD peadlling stroke, toe or heel’ is closed to new replies.