Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SPD cleats life rate
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

How long do you get from yours?

I run multi-directional releasers

And what sort of signs do you get when they are on their way out?

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Change mine about every 18 months or so but depends on how much riding I’ve been doing.
    Road cleats on the other hand are a lot less harder wearing

phiiiiil

I just changed my SPD cleats after, erm, quite a few years of everyday commuting and other riding too. For the last few months I haven’t been “clipped in” as such, more “perched upon”.

The old cleats were really thin, so I can’t walk in the new ones now because they stick downwards a lot further. Can’t win… 🙁

Klunk
    Free Member

7,7 and 8 years so far.

andytherocketeer

blimey. about 12 years so far.

but i did briefly wonder the other day if I ought to swap them for one of the spare sets i have somewhere (wherever I put the pedal packaging for several sets of pedals).

iainc

Time cleats on mtb shoes – couple of yrs maybe (wear split between 3 pairs)

Time cleats on road shoes – replaced every Spring, and not used mid Oct through to early March

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

How do you even tell with multi release? They just pop out pretty much at random even when new.

ferrals
    Free Member

I was wondering if I should change mine, but I think its as much the spings loosing tension so I just went a few notches harder on the tension. Such a ball ache getting cleat positioning ‘juuust right’

iainc

^^^^ if you have existing ones in the just right position, just draw round them before taking off and replacing !

Trimix
    Free Member

Mine seem to last years. So long I cant recall changing them.

I did try the multi release ones on my new shoes, but I found I released way too often. Even released just pulling up. So went back to standard ones and wont change again.

I expect to change my shoes before I have to change the cleats.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Time cleats here. I replace annually, they don’t need to be replaced that often but they’re cheap, they’re sacrificial parts and if nothing else it means the screw threads don’t sieze up if you leave them in situ for years. So makes sence just to replace regularly.

scotroutes

If the cleats last as long as the shoes that’s not a problem.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I change them when the rattling starts to annoy me, or when they start releasing too easily or not easily enough. Three or four sets of cleats and the cages on the pedals are shot anyway.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ I seem to be with you Dibbs – mine start to release easily if pulling up on straight stroke, and not easily enough when twisting out

I seem to have got through a few recently (across 3 different shoes)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SPD cleats life rate’ is closed to new replies.