• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SPD 520 pedals, very hard to release!
  • scruff9252

I have shimamo 520 pedals on one of my bike. Over the past couple of rides, ygry gave been getting progressively harder to release.

Is the issue likely to be the cleat being too worn issue or us the pedal just dying?

Harry_the_Spider

I didn’t know that SPD pedals could die!

It could just need a clean and a lube.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I just replaced my M540 SPD pedals as the bearings were getting a little wobbly. 8 years of hard use for 26 pounds, outrageous!

🙂

(I know I could probably service them, but for the money it’s not worth it. In the spares box for now)

lerk
    Free Member

I’ve always found the opposite problem occurs with wear/age…

If they are stiffening up, I would have thought a douse in lubricant was in order!

wiggles
    Free Member

Yeah as above I’ve found cleat wear means they release too easily not hard to release. A new pair are sub £30 including cleats so might as do that…

project
    Free Member

good rince with a wet soapy paint brush then a bit of oil, also spd cleats come in 3 types, check which you have and are they comaptible, one type isnt.

also check theres nothing stuck in cleat, or around sole if using mtb shoes, all learnt from experience.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve just had this happen with one pair of cleats only. Previously they have always gone very loose as they’ve worn out but these have gone the opposite way.

Looking at the cleat gives no clue as to why either, no obvious groove’s etc., Different cleats work fine in the same pedals.

520s are just over 15 quid so its not even worth buying new cleats.

scruff9252

Just been having a look over the pedals and give them a squirt of lube. Turns out some bandit had tensioned the pedals right up to the hardest setting.

It’s on the bike I use for getting about town and is often locked up outside / at work. Suspect it’s someone’s practical joke. I’ll admit, quite a cunning joke!

kcal

both pedals both sides? oof – need some time and the right sized hex key for that, some joker at work?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SPD 520 pedals, very hard to release!’ is closed to new replies.