Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sparrow in my woodburner!
  • martinhutch

Came down the flue about five seconds ago. Best way of getting it out without it smashing itself up on windows and crapping on the sofa?

Edric64
    Free Member

gasmark 5 30 mins

chambord
    Free Member

If you try to approach it it will just fly around and smash itself up on windows and then crap on the sofa.

Last time I caught a bird I threw a light tea towel over its head and grabbed it like that. I don’t know whether this is an accepted method but people on Springwatch always ring birds by keeping them in bags so I figure it can’t be that bad an approach.

sharkbait
    Free Member

martinhutch

Little bugger is now up behind the register plate. This could be awkward. I’ve stuck a duvet cover over the stove to try to calm it down a bit.

franksinatra

Put a cat in there

franksinatra

Emergency situation, grab a cycling helmet and union jack flag.

imnotverygood

Put a cat in there

That is only going to end up with you having to put a dog in there to catch the cat… & we know what that leads to.

martinhutch

Sorted! Groundsheets taped to windows, door pulled open while I ran away like a wuss. Straight out, no crappage, off home to be hailed as an adventuring hero.

#middleclassproblem solved!

andyl
    Free Member

We had a wren find it’s way into our gas boiler after flying in through the letter box to the delight of the cat. Just as I thought “s**t, better turn the boiler off” it fired up and the poor bird freaked out squawking and flapping and burning it’s wings to a crisp 🙁

Had to put it out of it’s misery quickly with the car exhaust.

crikey
    Free Member

We’ve got two chimneys going up to the same stack, with a flue liner down one. We sometimes get birds coming down and chirping on the register plate which drives the cats mental. Pop fire on and they go away, then come back when it’s cooled again.

globalti
    Free Member

Can a bird fly up a flue? I doubt it; they need airspeed to fly. After all in Yorkshire the standard cheapskate method of sweeping your chimbley is to drop a chicken down the pot.

wwaswas

I opened up a bricked up chminey in our lounge.

there was a pigeon skeleton and a pile of feathers behind it.

I’m not really sure what I’d have done if we heard one in there. Taking out 6 rubble sacks of brickwork and plaster to free it woudl have felt a bit OTT but the thought of a slowly dying and then rotting bird in there isn’t attractive.

verses

franksinatra – Member

Emergency situation, grab a cycling helmet and union jack flag. 😀

Next thread, “How to get Sudocrem off a sooty bird?”…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sparrow in my woodburner!’ is closed to new replies.