• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sparkly new PYGA 120 650B content!!
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Whoopy doo!! 😀

Collected today from R53 – big thanks to Craig, top bloke and great to meet you! 8)

Welcome to Slackalice’s new bike to be. Some of you may be offended by the size of wheel, some by the colour. I’m loving both – the lava orange definitely sparkles in the beautiful spring sunshine!! Hey ho!

For those who may choose to start spouting forth on size matters, speed, rolling over stuff and issues of loss…. move along please!! I advise you not to click on this post over the coming weeks as the rest of the bits arrive in the post and the build commences 😀

Here’s a few quick pics of the frame, and hopefully not too many errant weeds etc etc 😉

philbert31
    Free Member

Very nice indeed, how much if you don’t mind me asking?

fathomer

Looks lovely, I’d be pretty interested in one myself if I could get a demo.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thats a braw looking frame.

slackalice
    Free Member

Hi philbert, I dont mind you asking, I paid RRP as stated on the R53 site.

Hmmm, demo. I took a leap of faith on that one. Bit like buying a bike direct/mail order in some respects.

burt
    Free Member

for some reason i’m loving the head badge

rOcKeTdOg

That colour is ace!

Stiggy

Looking good so far.

Gotama
    Free Member

That looks lovely and I get more and more tempted by the 29er version everyday. Really great colour as well.

dannybgoode

Lovely looking frame. I like the colour and wheel size is irrelevant to me, so long as it rides nice it can have whatever wheel size you want.

Cheers

Danny B

Frankers
    Free Member

Like it….

What bottom bracket and headset are you going for? Also what travel is recommended for the 650B

patriotpro
    Free Member

The only good-looking 29er I’ve seen, nice attention to detail and appear well-made too.

Make sure to post full-build pics up…

Edit, obviously didn’t read it properly its a 650ber. 😳

slackalice
    Free Member

It’s getting a Shimano BB-92 press fit jobby and I’ve gone for Hope headset, pick n mix: No 2 top and E lower.

Thanks for your comments, it does appear to be going well so far! 😉

Recommended fork travel is 130 – 140mm, so I’m just waiting for a set of 140 RCT3 Revelations to arrive from Hibike and I’ll see how the ride feels as to whether I pop a 10mm spacer in to reduce. I’m also going for a 70mm 10deg rise stem to start with as a starting point. The rest of the spec:

Stans Crest rims, DT 350 rear hub, Hope 2 front hub
    2.25 Nobby Nics (Hans Dampfs for the PdS at the end of June)
    XT brakes, 180 F, 160 R
    XT Trail pedals
    X-9 mechs and shifters
    SLX 3 x 10 crankset
    Easton MonkeyLite XC low rise 685 bar
    ICE dropper post
    Gobi XM saddle

I think that’s about it. Keeping a bit of ‘old skool’ with the 3 x 10, I do like the option of a 44 tooth at times!

My original plan was to go for a shorter travel 650B frame, along the lines of the new Morewood Zula, however, they are taking forever to be shipped and quite honestly, the service I’ve experienced from Craig and Rogerat R53 Sport has been nothing short of superb, giving me huge confidence in any after sales care. Very impressed.

DT78
    Free Member

Looks lovely. What is the frame weight?

gordimhor

New bike and sunshine. …all looks good. Enjoy it 🙂

Frankers
    Free Member

slackalice – Member
    It’s getting a Shimano BB-92 press fit jobby and I’ve gone for Hope headset, pick n mix: No 2 top and E lower.

I went for #2 upper but asked Hope for only the bearing out of the lower

Looking forward to seeing it built

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks like a (nice) Trek.

Don’t be cheap with the seatpost, if you’re spending that much on a frame then it deserves a Reverb.

ska-49
    Free Member

Such a nice frame. Would love one of these in the future.
    For that price I’d expect a kashima fox though..
    Look forward to seeing it built!

ska-49
    Free Member

Such a nice frame. Would love one of these in the future.
    For that price I’d expect a kashima fox though..
    Look forward to seeing it built!

Vortexracing

that could tempt me away from a 650b Turner Burner

that carbon HT they do looks nice as well

Frankers
    Free Member

I want one of them carbon things…. in 2.. 9… size though

What’s the chance ??

slackalice
    Free Member

Update time!

Albeit not much of an update because I forgot to bring my hacksaw home and the wheels are arriving on Monday. However, headset fitted and marked the steerer tube for initial cut (with aforementioned hacksaw), leaving a little extra length until I suss out number of spacers etc etc.

As for frame weight…. Well I dropped into MachineMart on my home and bought a £12 digital luggage weighing thing…. Err, don’t bother, there’s no calibration function and so my control was to weigh an unopened 1kg bag of porridge oats. The scales suggested they were 1.69kgs. For a laugh, I strung up my SC Superlight, apparently it weighs 44lbs… Apologies for mixing my units of measure, but I think I’ll be taking them back.

Before anyone mentions, I’m acutely aware of the weeds, wall and the neighbours cat…ta. 😆

robdixon
    Free Member

I’m seriously tempted by the 29er version… wonder if there’s a carbon one in the works though..?

r53sport
    Free Member

Hey Tim. Starting to take shape then?

@Frankers. No 29 carbon hard tail in the pipeline at the moment. Concentrating on the Zero650C for now.

@Ska49 the Rockshox was chosen because it is the best shock for the bike. Don’t believe all the kashima hype. 😉

@Chakaping it does look a little like a Trek but it has different pivot and linkage locations and frame angle which is what makes the Pyga ride so well. 😉

@fathomer give us a call details are here http://www.r53sport.com as we are in the process of building a 650 demo and we already have a demo OneTen29. Cyclopedia in Watford also have a demo bike too.

@robdixon no carbon one in the works for now. May be in 2014, may be not…..

@Vortexracing it rides nicer than the Burner. 😉 Actually I have no idea if it does as I haven’t ridden the Turner but I can tell you the Pyga is awesome, I would say that though….

@Patriotpro the 29er looks just as lovely!

@Gotama listen to the voices in your head! Do it! Do it!

mikey74
    Free Member

Edit: Didn’t read the above post. 😳

heinrich
    Free Member

Nice Bike!, I bought one (650) and had a interesting time trying to fit my old Stylo 9 speed crank,… no go so I replaced it with a XT 2X10, nice.

daftvader
    Free Member

That is lovely. love the colour, wheel size and everything I have read about it (also in Hampshire and think it’ll be possibly the best bike for the area) I have spoken to Roger at r53 and am hoping to demo one in august…. cant wait!!! 8)

heinrich
    Free Member

Went for my first ride today, this is a serious machine it corners and climbs like a PRO… not me the Bike, this is a winner!! 🙂

Alex

I have the OneTen-29 and it’s a great bike. Great climber, seriously good downhill, lovely in the corners, stiff, even jumps well (to the limit of my ability). Running sticky 2.35 tyres really allows you to be quite silly. Assume the 650b is like that as well.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sparkly new PYGA 120 650B content!!’ is closed to new replies.