Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • sparked rewiring quote
  • DT78
    Free Member

just had my first quote in to rewire the old place. quite a large number nearly 6k which is about 2k more than expected.

seems to be based on a unit price of £50 a light and £60.a double socket does this seem reasonable?

edit £65 for a light

jimdubleyou

Don’t know how big your house is or where you live, but:

7 years ago, south west London, 3 bed terrace, done in two weekends with a team of about 5 blokes – £4.5k.

£6k doesn’t seem too much.

DT78
    Free Member

5 bed with studio and garage. some of it is recent so doesn’t include kitchen. rest ranges from 20 to 40 years old. some dodgy diy.

would be 2 guys unless they a roping in another

DT78
    Free Member

those prices are excluding vat so add another 20%

ctk
    Free Member

Had a 3 bed w garage done for £2700 3 years ago. I was expecting to pay £3500

Shop around a bit imo

astormatt
    Free Member

What accessories are you having? White plastic? Polished chrome?

What lights are you having? Standard pendants or downlights?

Hard to say without a proper spec. Are they a member of the competent person scheme?
    Have they put in the quote to provide certificate at the end of the job?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Is the property empty?

seadog101

1 bloke, 5 days, some rerun wiring, all sockets and light fittings changed, and some of the switches changed out. 3 bed semi that was empty, and mostly no carpets. £1300. Way cheaper than expected

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I reckon the quote is about right. You should get more than one quote though.

Recently I put in some extra double sockets in my bike room. It was just 4 double sockets and just local wiring under the floor, I just broke in and extended one of the ring mains. Bloody hell it was hard work. Took me all day. I had thought about starting up a sparky business if I ever lost my office job but if I only got paid £240 for a day’s work and I had to pay for the parts and cabling it does not look attractive.

So £60 for a light or socket point is reasonable in my opinion.

DT78
    Free Member

it would be 240 plus vat so nearing 300 a day, and I’d expect an experienced guy to be quicker.

spec wise that is all simple white plastic. in fact majority of pendants are new as I had to put them in as the light fittings had been removed.

I’ll count up the fittings. house is not empty but I was expecting to move the furniture out of the rooms before work starts.

and yep aim to get more quotes. this one took 3 weeks to get and a couple of chases. I dont seem to have much luck with trades hence thinking about doing it myself as well

DT78
    Free Member

35 sockets 21 lights (4 fluro) 2 consumer units boiler 2 extractor

majority of floor boards have loose sections from central heating fit so should speed up the job

woffle
    Free Member

sounds ok.

We had some quotes for rewiring our garage. 11 sockets, 3 external lights, 8 odd internal lights. Simple job as old circuit removed and existing consumer unit etc all good and up to spec. It’s back to bare boards at walls and celing so it should be easy enough to with no chasing in etc.

Ranged from £900 to £3500.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘sparked rewiring quote’ is closed to new replies.