Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • spare wheels
  • garethkendall
    Free Member

Hello, I am fairly new to mountain biking and have realised the benefits of having intermediate tyres on when riding on the roads, the only problem is when I want to go off road it means changing the tyres over. If I was to buy spare wheels how do I know they will fit my bike? I have a cube acid and the wheels are marked up as “alexrims Disc Rx24 // 6061H – T6 // Double wall 559 x 19”
    Any help would be appreciated.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Assuming you have 26 ” wheels – will say in the tyre] you need a set of 26″ wheels with disc hubs.

The front hubs can be QR -the skewer which you have I assume, 15 or 20 mm. More expensive hubs [ Hope Pro 2 for example ] will have adapters for all size

rear hub will be 135 mm [ DH are bigger iirc] standard QR
    Most MTB disc wheel for 26″ wheels will suffice for your needs
    How much do you want to spend?

Dobbo

I’m going to start doing this on my cross/road bike as I’ve got new wheels coming, the only PITA will be I’ll swap the cassette over when I swap wheels I as don’t have a spare one and they tend to wear together so you may get a slipping chain if they don’t match.

kayak23

I do this with my bike. You’ll also need discs on the spare wheelset to save the faff of swapping. Its worth doing if you can afford it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to run two bikes with two sets of wheels each. Keep on top of chain wear and the cassette will be fine. To be honest, they really didn’t see enough use to justify their existence. Spare tyres and a decent track pump worked better for me.

However, that will then evolve into a spare bike. It’s the only real answer.

garethkendall
    Free Member

Thanks everyone it may just be as cheap and easy to buy a cheap second hand bike for riding on the road.

Taff
    Free Member

You’ll want some spacers for your disc too if you get different hubs as there will be minor variations unless you’re happy re-centering the calipers each time.

Northwind

I was going down the same lines… But then I got a whole second bike instead! You can get an ancient rigid mtb for practically nothing (or out of a skip/town dump), sling new cheapo drivetrain on it, sorted. Saves a lot of faff, but also saves wear and tear on your expensive mtb parts- my entire 7-speed drivetrain for my commuting hack costs about the same as a cassette for the good bike.

seavers
    Free Member

+1 for what Taff said. I thought about keeping my old wheels as a second set when I bought new wheels. The reality is re-centering/aligning the calipers each time.
    As this is the case I will just swap tires when I need to. Being tubeless it is a pain but as the sealant should be replaced every so often I tend to run summer tires and winter tires…fresh Stans each time….seems to work. With tubes though I would wouldn’t think twice about a quick tyre change.

nosedive
    Free Member

if you can find a cheap second set of wheels with the same hubs then re-centering calipers shouldn’t be a problem. And if you use both sets of wheels regularly so that the cassettes are wearing then I think you should be fine to leave a cassette on your spares.

I’m not saying dont get a spare bike, but IMO you cant have too many wheels. If you ever do buy a road bike then they would be handy to have a set of mud tyres on instead

xiphon
    Free Member

garethkendall – I may have a complete set of 26″ road wheels for sale, including Schwalbe Marathon tyres.

I used to commute on 26″ (swapping wheels over), but now have a road bike 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘spare wheels’ is closed to new replies.