Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spare the change sir?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I often have ideas, some inane some a little less so, this is one of the less inane ones….

personally I don't like small change, i'd prefer to give it away than than cluttering up my pockets with 5p's 2p's and 1p's

I always tend to say "just pop it in the charity box" when I'm paying for grocery, petrol, etc but more often than not the charity boxes seem to be disappearing 🙁

so what if I could have the option to tell the retailer (or the retailer would ask "do you want to spare the change?"

This could work to round up any transaction to the nearest pound giving me say four pound change from a transaction that cost say £15.85 which I paid using a twenty pound note.

The "spare change" could then be distributed to Shelter or an other nominated charity.

On larger purchases such as grocery shopping or petrol the act of giving could also be rewarded with a couple of nectar points?

so STW what do you think? If you think there's mileage in this I'd be keen to hear your thoughts?

(please don't steal my idea, run with it then make millions without including me!)

another original idea from the mind of MrNutt(c)2009

nickc

put them in your own 'charity box' at home. I do this, and emptied it recently, came to £50…

philconsequence
    Free Member

TROLL!!!! this must be based on some kinda war or ancient battle.

(i like your idea dude, i like to leave my small change in car park ticket machines in the change slot, that way some random gets an awesome suprise when their fake pound coin gets rejected and they go to try it again with the "spinning technique")

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

I have an opinion, but after this weeks escapades, you can forget it! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

It would be a great idea if big retailers did it. Could make tons of money.

Much better than relying on individuals to do.. yes, Mr Cameron, it is.

IHN

Sorry fella, been done.

Sainsbury's did something similar for Comic Relief, 'round up to the pound' or something

DrP

Also, some debit cards give you the option to round up to the nearest quid, and dump the extra pennies into a savings acocunt….

can't remember which one though…

DrP

tron
    Free Member

I think Barclaycard do it if you want too.

druidh
    Free Member
    firestarter
    Free Member

id rather they rounded down to the nearest pound and just knocked it off my ever increasing bills

donsimon
    Free Member

Didn't M&S introduce this a few years ago where all the prices were rounded to the nearest pound. OK, the store was pocketing the 1p difference, but how much time was saved throughout the day by not having to count and then check the change?

In Spain it used to work, and sometimes still does, that if the bill was 5,02€ you'd only pay 5,00€, equally if the bill was 4,98€ and you paid 5,00€ you wouldn't receive change.

Now I think about it, can someone confirm that I wasn't being ripped off? 😆

I really can't be ar5ed with all the faffing.

simon_g

I never put anything under 20p back into my pockets. It goes in a big jar at home and when it fills up, I take it down to HSBC's coin sorting machines and put it back in my account.

I'm a fan of Swedish rounding. Make 10p the lowest denomination, round down if it ends in 5 or less, round up if it's 6 or more. Works well in NZ.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Apparently the 99p thing was started so that wily shopkeepers could force their staff to dig out the 1p change and the transaction would have to go through the till.

What with barcodes and self service tills and the like, I think it is well outdated and about time they use round numbers rather than farting about with shrapnel.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Various places in the US do this- not like the NZ/Aus system where it's becaus they don't have 1/2/5c coins, but to give to charity. Some restaurants are also doing a similar scheme of rounding up to the next pound for homeless charities. It's good because most people aren't shameless enough to say no.

finbar
    Free Member

Various places in the US do this

Yep, also some have "give a penny take a penny" bowls next to cash registers you can dip into if you don't have the spare change (or vice versa leave it in there if you don't want it).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But who would decide what charity(ies) should get the money collected? I wouldn't want to give to Friends of Ugandan Feminist Kollabarative but would be happy to give to UK-based children's hospices.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Similarly, in Waitrose, you get a token when you've bought your shopping to put in a charity box- there are three boxes for different charities and so your money goes to who you feel is most deserving.

aracer
    Free Member

I never put anything under 20p back into my pockets. It goes in a big jar at home and when it fills up

Does it teleport from the shop back to the jar?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spare the change sir?’ is closed to new replies.