Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • spare disc pads
  • rivirider
    Free Member

Just looking for new disc pads on line and noticed you can buy 3 or 4 pairs of pads on ebay for the same price
    As one set on most of the main online shops. Are these pads to good to be true or do they only last a short time

Scapegoat

Check Superstar Components, Uberbike etc. I use Superstar… as you say, four pairs for the same price as one pair of original. There were some early quality issues a year or so ago, but that seems a thing of the past now. Over the last six years I have had numerous pads for different brakes, and all have been reliable and decent quality. You also get to choose between Organic, Kevlar and Sintered, and can mix and match your order.

z1ppy

Opinions vary, some ppl love em and wouldn’t have anything else, other disagree. I’m in the buy cheap buy twice camp, as I’ve had too many cheap pads disintegrate in the rain (even with bedding in).. and it rains a lot in this country. Id say I’m still looking for the perfect pad though, tried lots of highly recommended ones (RWD/goodridge/carbone lorraine/fibrax) and still got no ‘favorite’.

PS: Literally not long changed/destroyed a pair of SSC pads in no time especially as the original shimano set lasted thoughout (a very wet) last year and the winter.. won’t be wasting money on them again.

FOG

Disco brakes have proved cheap and reliable for me. You can also mix and match pad types in the 4 for £xx pounds offers, useful for me as I have got different brakes fore and aft! When I have been caught out while away and have had to buy the real item, I can’t say they were massively better than cheapo. I have never had pads disintegrate on the trail and the only time I had the friction material come off the backing plate was with a genuine Shimano pad.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve used both superstàr and discobrakes without issue .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

After issues with Superstar around the pads being too thick and the glazing as they rubbed then not lasting that well went back to original hopes. They last long enough that I don’t think about the price.

gamerriley
    Free Member

I’d used superstar for ages but the last lot I had from them didn’t last long and I noticed the pad material was a different colour so wandered if they had changed supplier. My next purchase from uberbike were top notch, will definitely be using them again.

Northwind

Superstar kevlar still my favourites- it’s good that they’re cheap but they’ve also been really good. Discobrakes I found a bit shortlived and less powerful than I’d expect from sintered.

I’ve only tried the uberbike racematrixes, they worked really well for a couple of easy UK trailcentre rides then shat the bed completely in the alps, they seem to have no tolerance for heat- went dangerously unpredictable, then went in the bin. Wasn’t inspired to try their others!

Some OEM pads are worth it- Hope are the standout imo, they’re expensive but they perform well, last very well. Formula, Avid and Shimano oem, not worth it imo, just ordinary but expensive.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve used nothing but Superstar for the last 4-5 years, except with new brakes which come with OEM pads. Never had a pad ‘fail’ and the power is equivalent to various OEM pads I’ve tried.

I can’t see why anyone would spend £15-20 on a pair of pads. Plus it’s ace to have a drawer full of spare pads – something you can’t really justify when they’re £20 a pop.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘spare disc pads’ is closed to new replies.