Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Spare anchovie/plugs?
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Anyone know if you can buy these things? got a couple of kits but no plugs left.

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve seen them on eBay recently.

pipiom
    Free Member

Ordered, cheers guys

lornholio
    Free Member

What about the fluid? Is it just normal vulcanising solution? Got the Weldtite plug kit and can’t tell.

jonwe
    Free Member

Going by what’s in my panaracer kit, an old inner tube and a tube of bog standard rubber/vulcanizing solution should do the trick.

Bolt

No glue needed with those, they are just pushed in to plug the hole.

Bolt

Stoner
    Free Member

If I ride tubeless, some alpine stuff, I usually take a tube with me. But do I need one of these anchovy kits and can anyone recommend one?

ajantom

The Weldtite ones go for a fiver online. Five plugs, couple of insertion tools and a little knife to trim the plug when done. Comes in a little box, and will do for ages if you buy some of the above refills.

spooky_b329

I’ve had two lots now, the first needed a 3rd slicing off to get them into the insertion tool (didn’t bother with the first and it took 10 minutes with some pliers getting it through)

More recently I got another refill, these are double the thickness so chopped them all in half lengthways. I even chose an auction where they seemed slimmer than the others!

Has anyone found a seller of cycle sized anchovies?

lornholio
    Free Member

The Weldtite ones go for a fiver online. Five plugs, couple of insertion tools and a little knife to trim the plug when done. Comes in a little box, and will do for ages if you buy some of the above refills.

What about the fluid? Is it just normal vulcanising solution? Got the Weldtite plug kit and can’t tell.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s just normal vulcanising glue.

AlexSimon

I cut all my weldtite anchovies in half. Plenty long enough (you still end up trimming most of it off).

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Weldtite rubber solution available here for example.

I just bought two tubes, expecting them to be the same size as the tiny ones in the kits – but they are much bigger!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

There is vulcanising fluid and rubber cement. They’re not the same thing. Anchovies/weldtite plugs don’t need either, the other weldtite kit which relies on strips of rubber cut from a sheet needs rubber cement.

lornholio
    Free Member

There is vulcanising fluid and rubber cement. They’re not the same thing.

The Weldtite kit comes with a tube of stuff. I just wanted to know what it is, as I can’t tell. Seems like vulcanising solution to me but not sure.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

The stuff in the Weldtite kit is the stuff I linked to a couple of posts above.

As Scienceofficer pointed out, it isn’t vulcanising fluid.

Kahurangi

The panaracer kit is pants. None of the plugs stayed in. When the same hole was repaired with a Weldtite kit it was good.

I bought some more plugs off ebay but they are way too big to work with the weldtite tool, might end up putting them in the bin. Can anyone link to a specific product that is the same size as a weldtite plug/anchovy?

And +1 for cutting the weldtite plugs in half. If you’re careful fitting, you don’t need the full length.

carlos
    Free Member

As above most of the ones on EBay are a bit thick for the tool to be used properly. All I do is pull them apart lengthways to halve the thickness and then just trim to length. The ones I have are made up of 4or 5 thinner strands

They are kinda made up in the same way a rope but sticky (obviously) and this means you get even more for your ££

Carlos

Kahurangi

Hmn, I’ll have a go pulling one apart, cheers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Spare anchovie/plugs?’ is closed to new replies.