Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Spanish Mapping for Garmin GPS
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

I use a Garmin Oregon with OS 1:50K base mapping for the UK which works well, planning a trip to Cataluna in the Summer and have seen that the ICC website has similar detailled mapping, is it possible to download this mapping onto a micro SD card to use as I currently do in the UK? If so could someone take me through the steps in words of one sylable? Unfortunately my Catalan and Spanish is not up to this level of detail, neither is my IT ability. Thanks in anticipation.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

you need to get the mapping into mapsource and transfer it from there. You need to find some maps designed for garmin devices, or scan your own maps in. Might be easier just using some of this

Map Download

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Thanks HH I’ve looked at this but it doesn’t seem to have topo information, certainly not as good as the ICC mapping, is there any other similar mapping software I could try?

Moses

I can’t help with this at all, but I’m interested.
    Are there any on-line large scale maps of Spain, similar to our OS maps?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

The only ones I have found online are of Cataluna, HereReally trying to find a way of saving them to a micro SD card and using on my Oregon

bob_summers

I use http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/descargas.html for OSM topo maps, likely the same maps as the above link though. Download “Topographic Peninsular Spain” from the “copy on GPS Navigator” comlumn, rename the finished download as gmapsupp.iso then copy into the /Garmin folder on the device (backup your original first). I get some topo info from this, contour lines and some footpaths etc, but it’s pathetic compared to the OS. That’s about as good as you get for Spain though, Catalunya seems to have better stuff available from a cursory look at the ICC page.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Bob but you’re right the topo detail is poor. The ICC mapping is very good and in my experience quite accurate, if anyone with good Spanish or Catalan could have a look to see if the file is downloadable en masse onto a Garmin platform, I would be eternally grateful.

uplink
    Free Member
    pistonbroke
    Free Member

Thanks Uplink, tried to load up the contour add on but my City Navigator 08 didn’t want to play. I’ve used the ICC mapping and printed off specific maps in the past but I was hoping that there was a way of getting it onto my Oregon in the same way as the OS mapping is loaded, too much to hope for?

uplink
    Free Member

A while ago I played around with converting the topo maps to a .img format – which will allow them to be loaded as you require

I had mixed results but some did work – maybe worth looking at?

geoffj

I use http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/descargas.html for OSM topo maps, likely the same maps as the above link though. Download “Topographic Peninsular Spain” from the “copy on GPS Navigator” comlumn, rename the finished download as gmapsupp.iso then copy into the /Garmin folder on the device (backup your original first). I get some topo info from this, contour lines and some footpaths etc, but it’s pathetic compared to the OS. That’s about as good as you get for Spain though, Catalunya seems to have better stuff available from a cursory look at the ICC page.

Shouldn’t gmapsupp.iso be gmapsupp.img ?

bob_summers

Yep, sorry my bad, indeed should be .img (wrote the reply from memory)

I’ll have another look at the ICC site and see if there’s anything useful.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Thanks Bob, I’m sure it must be possible to copy ICC mapping, just my poor Spanish and IT knowledge standing in the way.

Lucas
    Free Member

I have never done what you want to do and I don’t have one of these GPS’. I do work with georeferenced images and maps though so I had a bit of a look. The following looks like it should work. If not at least your looking in the right places.

Go to that ICC page – zoom in to the area you want, select the map scale you want in the right hand side. Click on the map you want and a pop up window appears download the .sid file. These are georefereced (ie in the correct geographic coordinates) images of the maps

Now use one of the tools from (you’ll have to copy and paste as I can’t get the link to work)

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Custom+Maps#FAQ-CM5.)What other tools can I use to make Garmin Custom Maps?”

to convert the sid file to a file type that will go in the GPS.

Mackem

You can get Spanish Topo mapsource.

I believe, ahem, it’s available on the internet somewhere for considerably less cash.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=73493

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Spanish Mapping for Garmin GPS’ is closed to new replies.