• This topic has 28 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nigew.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Spanish bike hols company with family friendly stuff
  • hora
    Free Member

Any recommended Spanish biking holiday providers that also have decentish stuff to do nearby for your family to do/so you don’t feel bad at dragging them along? The worse case scenario would be them trapped up in the hills whilst you ride.

Ideally someone who also provides airport transfers too but with decent trails/single track.

Best of both worlds I guess.

vmgscot

Sierra Cycling are pretty much on the beach/town at Fuengirola so plenty of Family holiday fun scope there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Sierra spring to mind.

Jaz1979
    Free Member

Sierra Cycling – loads of stuff for the family to do whilst you get out on the bike. Love riding out there, nothing quite beats ending a ride on the beach with a cold beer/ice cream (or both)

hora
    Free Member

Full 🙁

Mackem

Just get an apartment on Costa del Sol and join Sierra cycling as a non-resident, just pay per day. Ride along the promenade to Fuengirola.

FuzzyWuzzy

Probably not what you’re after but if they want to ride you could look at http://www.andaluciancyclingexperience.com/Cycling/Family_cycling_holiday.html (I’ve only used them for winter training camps but they’re a good bunch). Not sure if they could do a shorter version or do a combined road one for them and MTB one for you (assuming it’s MTBing you want to do).
    There’s not much non-cycling to do in the immediate area though, Ronda is a decent sized town 20km away though which is fairly touristy.

dragon
    Free Member

Fuengirola is a sh*t hole. I wouldn’t take my family there.

Miguelo

Hi dragon, glad you like my hometown…

TBH I wouldn’t probably go on holiday there but I wouldn’t say Fuengirola is a sh*t hole, definitely not. It’s not what I look for when on holidays but it has decent beaches, shops, very good restaurants, good trails and friendly people 😉
    Obviously if you stay in hotel drinking by the pool you won’t see any of this. Malaga is very close and has plenty to see and do, even Cordoba and Granada are doable day trips.

Hora if Sierra is full you can do what Mackem said, or even do your own thing if you are handy with a GPS, it’s not that difficult really and I could help you with GPX files. when are you going? There are other companies in the area I think (Switchbacks, Thebikeshuttle/RideMalaga…) You would obviously have to climb a lot more going on your own…

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Hora,
    Which dates are you looking at?

Dekerf853

Basque MTB. Hondarribia is a lovely small town with a great beach. Doug is super-obliging, I’m sure he would help you find an apartment in the town or next to the beach.
    Riding is superb.

hora
    Free Member

Hi Alan next week. I could arrange my own flights of course

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Hora,
    That´s the problem. We are closed until Sept 1st for a well-earned rest sorry.

Mackem

Just find a nice place and self-guide. Hondarribia as above is a lovely place, similar places along the North Coast of Spain would be Zarautz and Plentzia. Can’t be too difficult to find a place to stay on the Costa, plenty of guidebooks to point you in the right direction bike wise.

In fact, I’ve got a bike guidebook of South Spain you can use. (it’s in English)

Miguelo

Next week may be still too hot to ride and very busy for south Spain (Malaga area) I would say. Not the best time of the year IMO but still doable.
    I would go north if I could although flights and shuttle may be harder to find?
    If you are happy self guiding then you have plenty of options though, not only mainland Spain but also the islands.

nigew
    Free Member

I have just been to that part of Spain and it will be still too hot to ride unless you went out early morning.

Fuengirola is a sh*t hole. I wouldn’t take my family there

Not sure when you last went or what time of year but it’s far from that.
    It was 80% Spanish families 2 weeks ago, non of the Benidorm Brits abroad style crowd.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Can´t agree with that. Sunny climate, clean sandy beaches, excellent tapas bars and restaurants, mainly Spanish families on holiday this time of year. And the bike trails aren´t bad either!.

Mackem

Fuengirols is alright. A bit grimy near the bus station, but the coast is very nice. There’s the usual Brit type places along the sea-front but go back one block and there’s loads of really nice Spanish places to eat and drink. (lot cheaper than the Brit places). There’s a multy-plex cinema that has showings in English so you can take the kids there one afternoon. Far worse places to go on holiday.

mccraque

Basque MTB. Hondarribia is a lovely small town with a great beach. Doug is super-obliging, I’m sure he would help you find an apartment in the town or next to the beach.
    Riding is superb.

This ^^ ^^ – we stayed in San Sebastian. Fantastic sheltered beach, a fairground on the headland, and great family friendly bars and restaurants in the old town

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

http://Www.pureriding.eu might suit you. They’re based inland from Girona in a pretty town called Osor on a campsite with swimming pool.

You could either stay there or base yourself near Begur on the coast – really stunning area with nice beaches. We stayed for 10 days and I did a couple of days guided riding, one with uplift. It’s just over an hour from Begur but the riding was very good so well worth the drive. Some vids of the riding here: https://gorillainthepeak.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/spectacular-spain/

ndthornton
    Free Member

When I want to ride those trails (which is often) I stay in Mijas
    Much better for trail access and its a much nicer place

hora
    Free Member

Basque are completely full sadly too

Mackem

Do you really really need a guiding company?

nigew
    Free Member

If you do go to Costa del Sol
    this guide book is very helpful.
    One of the authours, Jim ran a guiding company out there called Seasonally Unadjusted, the climbs were hard but well worth it for the descents

Trekster

ran a guiding company out there called Seasonally Unadjusted, the climbs were hard but well worth it for the descents

Enjoyed a day out with Jim in Alora. Got the train from the Costas to Malaga then up to Alora 😀
    Also had a few days with Alan’s guides, hired a bike and off we went….

vincienup
    Free Member

BasqueMTB is awesome. Totally gets my vote. Go for the coastal option and you’re in Hondarribia, othwr side of the bay from San Seb. A hire car or taking your own would sort any family friendly transport issues.

The riding is awesome, Doug and his guides are awesome, and the bista we were placed in was great (half board breakfasts no evening meals but kitchen facilities available to cook if liked). The way the accommodation is sorted out, it’s possible to book accommodation only for non riders. A whole family might be a stretch if not all in one room but worth an ask.

Enjoy. I seriously want to go again. 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

Ride Sierra Nevada. Shawn is a top bloke – get in contact as he and Csilla have kids and they would tee up something. Granada is pretty close and a lovely place to see.

Could be a bit hot though.

Oh and the trails are awesome!

Mackem

Whatever happened to SeasonallyUadjusted? Jim was a top bloke, the riding was great and the accomodation great.

nigew
    Free Member

Whatever happened to SeasonallyUadjusted?

I think he moved his guiding business to Morrocco?
    Yep a top bloke, went riding with Seasonally twice, never used his accomodation, we stayed at The PYR in Fuengirola.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Spanish bike hols company with family friendly stuff’ is closed to new replies.