Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Spam/virus emails – advice for the non technical.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I've been getting emails from my mother which are a single line that is some sort of link. It's obvious to me that she hasn't meant to send them and I haven't clicked on the links, so not worried about my computer – assuming I would have to click on the link to download something rather than simply open the email to cause a problem for myself?

However, when I tell her that this is happening she will get into a massive panic. So, before I do so, can anyone tell me what exactly are these called, and what does she need to do about it on her computer, which I think runs either windows 7 or vista can't remember.

Thanks.

retro83
    Free Member

not necessarily her machine with the problem, could be anybody with her email address

That said, download and run Malware Bytes on her PC, then install Microsoft Security Essentials / Windows Defender

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks. Will the free one do it or would she be better with the full version?

CountZero

Something's got into her computer and has hijacked her address book. I had one recently from a close friend who never emails me. The link was for Canadian Pharmacy. Guess what they were advertising? Oddly enough, she's a midwife. She checked with AOL who came back with 'password known'

Cougar

Could be unrelated to her PC, could just be that someone is forging the emails as being from her.

Given that they're coming to you though, what CZ said is likely and retro gives good advice. Under Windows 7, MS Security Essentials supercedes Windows Defender, get that. In both cases (MSE and Malwarebytes) the free versions are perfectly adequate.

If Malwarebytes finds anything, save a log and post it here, then I / we can advise whether further action is required.

Cougar

Oh, and use Windows Update to get everything up to date.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I'll see what I can do. She's 500 miles away so it will be over the phone.

retro83
    Free Member

use remote desktop/remote assistance if you got a Windows box to hand

GrahamS

Or use VNC if you don't have a Windows PC.

Cougar
    retro83
    Free Member

Or http://www.teamviewer.com

Yeah, that's a great option actually. It is often able to punch through NAT firewalls (i.e it will allow you to connect to her PC without messing about with port forwarding on the router), and it just pops up on the screen with a code and password you need to type to take over her PC. Really neat bit of software.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Spam/virus emails – advice for the non technical.’ is closed to new replies.