Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • spam and iOS
  • z1ppy

Been asked to look at an older friends Ipad, as it receiving spam that their outlook client on the PC isn’t. Apparently their old ipad didn’t receive much spam either, but that’s gone so can’t compare any setting (are there any setting to change?). Little lost as to what to suggest… any idea’s?

somouk
    Free Member

Surely the classification of SPAM is done on the server and it goes in to the correct SPAM folder. If so then turn off push for that folder.

fisha
    Free Member

It does seem that these days each email account server (yahoo, gmail, outlook etc) and clients (outlook program, thunderbird, mail etc) all have their own versions / takes on filtering spam.

What does the online server webpage of the mail account show? That is the definitive of whats in each mail folder, and clients and programs should sync from that base account.

If all the spam is there in the inbox, then its down to the clients that are doing the filtering. Programs like outlook seem to guess at what is spam and automatically take it out of the inbox and put it into a spam folder. When they do that, then that should also sync that filtering back to the server side so that the spam on the server also gets moved out of the inbox. … so in theory other programs that sync to the mail server dont see the spam in the inbox anymore either.

Perhaps its simply the case that the desktop client is better at doing this filtering than the ipad, but that the desktop isn’t getting to do its filtering before the ipad looks at the server (imagine only using the desktop once a day, but the ipad every hour – the ipad wont see a filtered inbox till the desktop syncs later on )

AS I say, i’d be looking at all 3 (web, client, ipad) and comparing.

Cougar

Are they both using the same email address?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t think there is any link between SPAM and iOS. It’s all about the email account / server. Do you mean an iCloud email account ? GMAIL etc filter Junk whether you are reading it on your computer or iPad

hot_fiat

Sounds like the filtering they’re doing for spam on the PC is client-based. Perhaps reconfigure the rules the PC uses so they’re exchange server based and see what happens.

iOS also by default downloads images. This lets spammers verify that they’ve sent to a valid mail address. Switch it to prompt (Settings>Mail>load remote images)

z1ppy

Will check the webmail and see what that receives, which should be the same as the iOS.. we’ll see

Are they both using the same email address?

Yes, a “totalise.co.uk” email

Sounds like the filtering they’re doing for spam on the PC is client-based.

I’d agree but they say the old ipad didn’t receive the spam the new one does. I’m wondering if the the new ipad email is setup with pop3 settings and the old one as imap, allowing the pc to filter it 1st

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘spam and iOS’ is closed to new replies.