Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Spain/Portugal surfing campsites
  • gavinpearce
    Free Member

Anyone have any good recommendations? Cornwall this year is a joke – it’s like a bad Autumn day outside and family discussion says next year is campervan and surfing holiday. Nowhere extreme but my 10 yr old son is just getting into surfing. Oh and if there is any mtb nearby I might accidently take my bike….

nickjb
    Free Member

We stayed on a campsite behind Guincho Beach outside Lisbon. It was really nice in amongst the trees behind the sand dunes. This was quite a few years ago. It might be high rise apartments now. The surf was fantastic. Way to big for us really but it had calmer moments.

jam-bo

Cornnwall this year is a joke – it’s like a bad Autumn day outside

its been raining for about 24 hours. its been pretty nice down here otherwise.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Ok jam bo you’re right, but sometimes it seems like it’s been chucking it down the whole time esp when the kids are moaning and the wife is telling me Spain next year!

teamslug
    Free Member

We toured around the basque region last year. Some nice spots along that coast ( San Sebastian to Santander) with camp/caravan sites just a stones throw from the beach. And some epic hills too.

bob_summers

Check out Oyambre Beach (some 30mins west of Santander) or Zarautz (close to San Sebastian), good weather far from guaranteed oop north though. Living in SS we spend about a month during the summer at Oyambre, IANAS but my niece is and she sometimes comes along and loves it there.

There are also freecamping spots on the little coastal road between Oyambre and San Vicente.

ferrals
    Free Member

IF your son is just getting into surfing I would have thought Basque country better than Guicho area of portugal, do to more variability to find suitable waves. If you don’t mind going a bit further Algarve area of portugal also good as you have both west coast when small and can go south coast if it gets too big for him, but very hot that time of year. No specific campsite recommendations though but lots used to free-camp around Amado/Carrapeteria.

andyl
    Free Member

just got back from a weekend of surfing and kayaking down in Newquay. Left just as the rain hit.

Coincidentally just planning a holiday to Portugal for September for both surfing and maybe hire a mtb.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Spain/Portugal surfing campsites’ is closed to new replies.