Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Spain trip: take bike (2 return flights) – or hire?
  • pipiom
    Free Member

As above, planning a Spain trip (CicloMontana) Obviously being IOM based we’ve got 2 return flights to contend with (Flybe and EasyJet)
    Total novice on this, hence this post.
    What’s the consensus on here regarding, risk, bag/case cost, bike hire cost etc.

Shred
    Free Member

I’m also on the IOM, and have been flying regularly to events, but it really depends what you are going to do.

If I’m doing an event, I would want my own bike. When I’ve been to Majorca for 2 weeks, I’ve taken my own bike as I normally ride every 2nd day and hire would be very expensive.

I’ve not had any problems flying with my bike so far using a EVOC soft bag, but you always run the risk of damage no matter what you do. I’ve used the postage services for my bike once (SendMyBag) and my bike arrived broken.
    So you always take a risk, but a lot of people fly with bikes successfully every day.

oldnpastit

Bikes are quite strong things, being made of triangles and circles.

Unbolt things like the rear mech obviously.

wl
    Free Member

Money no object, I’d risk it. Nothing beats having your own bike on a biking holiday you’ve really looked forward to. A crap hire bike could ruin your trip (and break your neck).

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Easyjet normally charge £40 extra each way (don’t know if you’re able to fly direct from IOM or not), so whether this works out as £80 total or £160 I’m uncertain

I’ve flown plenty of times with my bike and thus far the only damage I’ve had is a bent rotor

Several mates have the Evoc bags and these seem to be the best of the bunch – the only negative I can see with them is they are slightly heavier than other bags, so can be a little limiting if you’re putting some of your riding gear into the bag

I have a cheaper less padded bag (same one for over 10 years now) – when I pack I do as follows: –

1. Remove rotors from wheels – I’ve created a cardboard protective pocket which they are put into (basically two thick pieces of cardboard taped together)
    2. Remove Pedals and Chain (pack in bubble wrap in pockets in the bag)
    3. Remove wheels and put into wheel pockets (I also tape some card to either side of the axle holes for extra protection)
    4. Remove rear mech, wrap in bubble wrap and tape to somewhere between chain/seat stays
    5. Get some pipe lagging (I actually used some laminate floor underlay I had spare (not the cheap thin stuff)) and put this round the frame, fork etc, taping it in place
    6. Put a pad spacer between your brake pads
    7. Pack my elbow/knee pads round part of the frame (usually use the velcro straps to hold it in place)
    8. Remove handlebars (leave controls attached), wrap in lagging/bubble wrap and tape to the side of the frame

pipiom
    Free Member

Many thanks guys, all the info I need, right there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Spain trip: take bike (2 return flights) – or hire?’ is closed to new replies.