Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • spag bol
  • iDave
    Free Member

does anyone put milk and white wine in their spag bol sauce?

cream and red wine here. might try the authentic version later

jimmy

the SO does the milk thing. can't say I noticed the difference.

snowslave

Yes. I reduce the wine down then add milk and do same

domino

Cream, or milk if I don't have cream, and red rather than white wine. I use a Nigel Slater recipe to make it (though I doubt I stick 100% to it as I make it so often that its in my head).

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I've started adding milk after reading Heston Blumenthal's cookbook In Search of Perfection. It makes the sauce really unctuous.

I really like the added interest given by the 2 types of onions, sliced and fried til caramelised and finely chopped and softened.

MrOvershoot

domino – Premier Member
    Cream, or milk if I don't have cream, and red rather than white wine. I use a Nigel Slater recipe to make it (though I doubt I stick 100% to it as I make it so often that its in my head).

Exactly the same as me, its a really nice recipe & the house smells great while your cooking it, I tend to put a bit more garlic in IIRC

Ti29er
    Free Member

Listen here tomorrow and all will be reveled.
    Tomorrow they're giving away the trade secret!

Notter
    Free Member

Wine yes, milk….erm…no.

AgentOrange
    Free Member

Make a mug of very strong black coffee and add this to the mix – Sounds wrong but tastes right… 😀

BigJohn

I made a ragu last night and put white wine in. Although vermouth (preferably Noilly Prat) is better. I often put milk in curries and its excellent. A little bit of chocolate in a ragu is good too, not so much that you can identify the taste though.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Always red wine. Never milk. Although I do know that its supposed to be in I just never fancied it.

nasher
    Free Member

As with all Italian cooking!

Good quality ingredients means you dont have to complicate things, beef mince, basil, tomatoes.. basta!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘spag bol’ is closed to new replies.