Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Spacing Rear Dropouts for Transport of frame
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Anyone have a good way to do this? Concerned my frame will get bent when transported without the rear wheel in.

J

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used a bit of 22 mm copper pipe recently – its what I had to hand, Kept in place with cable ties.

I think threaded bar ( available fronm B&Q) is the best stuff I have used. 4 nuts and washers so one each side of each dropout

avalanche
    Free Member

+1 for the copper pipe. I use my skewers to hold them in place.

z1ppy

Frame I was sent had a small (135mm-ish wide) piece of wood between the dropouts, secured with some self tapping screws through the dropouts. Simple but effective

porter_jamie

i think my frame came with a plastic drop out spacery thing. maybe you could beg one from your lbs?

Edric64
    Free Member

get an old hub and use that if its a built bike minus the wheels leave an old cassette on to carry the chain and the paint wont get knackered.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Good ol’ friendly LBS, they usually come in new frames, so worth asking there.

heihei

I found that an old ODI lock-on grip + 5mm stem spacer did the trick – lighter than an old hub too.

Andy

Roll of corrugated cardboard, bit of packing tape and 4 cable ties here works fine.

Edit: If its a frame I’m selling. For flying I use a QR axle and the rear QR.

toys19
    Free Member

or you can spend loads on these, which at 14.99 is ok…

Andy

Toys19; yup added the plastic brake shims on a bit of elastic too. Leave the front and rear in my bike bag, when not used. 😀

Jammy111
    Free Member

thanks guys, will look into a few of those ideas!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Spacing Rear Dropouts for Transport of frame’ is closed to new replies.