Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Space Shuttle launch delayed by bike accident
  • wwaswas

Space travel and cycling – two sure ways to get your bone density down to the point where you snap easily…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmmm, this has got me thinking.

In the space station, if there was a big enough space to have a smooth track running around the inside of the body of the ISS to accomodate a bike & rider, then how fast could that person go given the lack of gravity? How long would you be able to freewheel until friction would stop you in a gravity free environment? How much G would you feel per mph riding around the loop? Questions, questions, questions. I really should be concentrating on work instead 😆

big_scot_nanny

Piedi, some class mixing up of gravity and vacuum there! Based on your logic, I would answer the following:
    a) Ladder
    b) Happy Shopper
    c) Uma Thurman

😉

Kev

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So, you’d feel Uma Thurman. Worth a try I reckon

big_scot_nanny

was watching Pulp Fiction in the gym this morning, I think most of my answers today may contain ‘Uma Thurman’ regardless of question. 😳

Back to serious points, If the space station was big enough, to form a pretty big loop, say diameter 100m, and was static in orbit, and you had a smooth loop ‘track’ as you described, i figure in zero G it would be possible to get cycling. Bit like the wall of death motor cycle rides.

Not sure at all of the physics, but I guess if you had some speed, riding around the inside of the curve, you at least wouldn’t need velcro tyres or anything to hold you down.

I would think the speed is similar to earth and determined by puffing power, but Gs in the tight loop circuit might be quite high?

Strewth, I’m going for a lie down. (maybe thinking about Uma Thurman…)

Kev

cynic-al
    Free Member

Physics can’t be that tough.

Radius = 50m
    Centripetal force = WTF?

Macgyver

awhhhh crap. Was hoping that we might get a glimpse of it leaving the Cape from the Bahamas that week.

cynic-al
    Free Member

F = mv^2/r
    so
    a = v^2/r
    and
    v = sqrt(ra)

if a=9.81 (I.E. g) and r = 50m, v would have to be 22m/s which is 49mph

I guess if you were in space with an oxygen tank you could do it 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Space Shuttle launch delayed by bike accident’ is closed to new replies.