Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Space saver wheel/tyre durability/safety??
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So just had a marvellous journey from Ooop north back to Derbyshire, whilst tootling on the m62 in the roadworks we had a blow out/flat! There was no way I was stopping there and being a sitting duck so wrecked the tyre getting to somewhere safe.
    Anyhoo matey came to swap the wheel to the space saver, all good and home finally, but do these tyres/wheels have a mileage limit?? We’ve just done approx 70 miles on it and prob another 10 to get it fixed tomorrow all at driving miss daisy speeds. Can I just stick it back in the boot???

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yes fine but just make sure it was used at the correct Psi and that if it was under you aint damaged the sidewalls of it. they are only meant to be used for minimum time on the car but a day or two aint going to hurt and remeber to stick to the speed rating for it which it sounds like you are doing.

jon1973
    Free Member

I hate those space save spares, but it will be fine for that. My brother just got a new car and it doesn’t have a spare at all, just a can of that foam stuff.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah we’ve done 50mph the whole way back in a Subaru impreza being overtaken by articulated lorries!! Getting some funny looks for sure!! Mate has a civic type r and that has no spare, he was taken to the nearest garage to “choose” a tyre. Unfortunately said garage was a kwikfit!!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yep give me a space saver any day, can of foam is useless if you have no sidewall!
    Or like you say you get screwed by being taken to a Kwik Fit day like robbery place.

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought the usual statement is 50mph & 50 mile limit for them but I’m sure that’s pretty conservative. It’s even more annoying on my car as the space saver only works on the front (different width wheels front and rear) so if I have a rear puncture I have to swap a front wheel to the rear and put the space saver on the front.

nealglover
    Free Member

Fuzzy wuzzy, the space saver is a different size to all of the wheels so what difference would it make ?

Could it be that it won’t fit over large brakes, or not ideal to have different size wheels on the driven wheels (if you have a rear wheel drive) as it will bugger up the diff?

was
    Free Member

350z are the same. Get a rear puncture and you must put a front wheel on the back and the space saver on the front. Tyre foam carried at all times…

Its the limited slip diff – different size tyres would cause it to lock all the time and soon trash it.

nealglover
    Free Member

That makes more sense, not that the fronts and rears are different, but that you need to minimise the difference in circumference between the wheels on the drive axle.

glenh
    Free Member

Some people who live near me seem to have been driving around on a space saver spare for about 6 months.

FuzzyWuzzy

Mines an old E46 330 (without an LSD), could be traction-control related I guess, I just always assumed the rears were too wide to be in the safe working range of thee space saver whereas it was OK on the narrower fronts.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not the width that’s the issue. X5’s have something like a 285/19 rear tyre, but the space saver is only 155/18

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Space saver wheel/tyre durability/safety??’ is closed to new replies.