Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SPA cycles leather saddles – any experience?
  • scruff9252

Was thinking of getting a leather saddle for my touring bike and the SPA cycles ones look good value. Whilst Road CC give them good reviews, I’d be keen to hear real world experience…

houndlegs
    Free Member

I had one, could never seem to get just right on it. It wasnt uncomfy as such, but it did make me ache/numb after a while in the saddle. And as for breaking it in to the shape of yer backside, I put a few thousand miles on it and it still looked the same as when I got it. I think they would last forever.

mlke
    Free Member

I ducked buying a Spa cycles one after hearing others’ experiences of it taking longer to wear in and not being as comfortable as Brookes.
    One of the saddles I own is a Brookes B17 which is turning out to have been good value given I’ve had it on different bikes now for approx 25 years.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Had one on my Brompton for about a year, maybe year and a half. Only sees 3-4 miles each way per day, but still no sign of any breaking in. Not sure I’d want one on a touring bike that I had to do long distances on, unless you find some way of accelerating the process slightly.

RustySpanner

I like mine, but yes, they take way too long to break in.

I’ve a spare new one going on a bike shortly.
    It’s had a full time of dubbin already, before it’s been used.
    I’m tempted to beat it with something, but that comes across as a bit Basil.
    🙂

See it as a test of will – your arse versus an inanimate object.
    Which will break first?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Pretty sure Ton(y) tried & hated his on his commute?
    Was thinking of getting one, but bought a Brooks Cambium,which, was mint, straight from the box.

scruff9252

How does the break in period compare to that of a brooks. I do like the idea of a leather saddle which will go on for decade’s.

scruff9252

Or I wonder if leather shoe stretching fluid would help reduce the break in period…

ton

i have owned 2 of them…a aire and a wharfe.
    both used for commuting, 1 for 5 month and 1 for a few week, god knows why i tried again.
    far far too hard, neither gave.
    i thought about dropping one in hot water for half a hour then going for a ride with it wet to see if it would give and mould to my shape a bit.

sold em both.

lazybike
    Free Member

The quality is fine, but the…and I use the word loosely “comfort” was sadly lacking, I tried all the creams and lotions,heated it in the oven, suffered 4hr rides on it all to no avail….someone suggested leaving it in a bucket of water for a couple of hours, so I may give that a try.

johnners
    Free Member

Anyone tried softening one with Nikwax Liquid? I might have to give it a go, mine has all the comfort of a bent bit of plywood.

lazybike
    Free Member

bent bit of plywood.

You were lucky…mines like rough hewn granite.. 🙂

scruff9252

hmmm. I may just stick with the charge spoon then….

thanks

houndlegs
    Free Member

If its for your tourer, I dont think you’ll go wrong with one of those SMP TRK saddles. I’ve got one after seeing a few folk on here recommend them, and its a revelation for me.
    If you go through http://www.dillglove.co.uk/product-catalogue/saddles/ you can try a test saddle first.
    I got one in a medium and large to test, and settled for a medium.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SPA cycles leather saddles – any experience?’ is closed to new replies.