Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sowing needle sizes. Webbing and truck tarp. MYOG.
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Can I fit ang size needle in a “standard” domestic sowing machine.

I want to sow some webbing and thisck cordura for a bag I would like to make. In addtion to this I woil like to add some truck tarp / vynal sign fabric I have gotten a hold of on one section as an extra water proof layer. Any idea what size needle I would need? I’ve only used a sowing machine a couple of time for straight stiches so realsie there will be a learning curve.

Moses

1. It depends on the sewing machine & the thickness of the material. (Sew, not sow, unless you’re planning on harvesting them when they’ve grown)

2. You might need an industrial sewing machine for that job.
    3. If it’s only for a small job, you might be better off with an awl, something like a Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl – basically a needle with a handle, and the eye at the pointed end.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Oops yep sewing!

Thanks for the info.

Does it tend to be written on the machine the max needle size? Ormis it a google the model number?

Awl looks good. The truck tarp / vynal sowing is only a small bit so by hand would be fine. Would I need to use the awl on webbing? Its two projects.

1 is a frame bag so cordura +webbing. This is the big one that by hand would be tough.

2 add a water proof lid to my big posty bag I use for shopping/carrying lot of cloths to work etc so not much, easy by hand with a awl.

TheBrick
    Free Member

P.s is there anything I should look out for thread wise? Mattereial gauge e.t.c?

tillydog
    Free Member

Not an expert, but I’ve used ‘denim’ needles for sewing webbing & canvas with a domestic machine. I used heavy polyester thread (Guttermann No.40) and it worked fine. (DON’T use cotton – it will shrink and/or rot)

The limitation seems to be how powerful the motor is on the machine. I used to use a (very) old hand cranked machine which dealt with thick stuff better than mrsg’s electric one.

You need to be carefull that the weight of the work doesn’t pull on the needle, or it will hit the base of the machine and break.

Denim needles should work with your vinyl, too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Thanks. I will go to google shopping armed with this info thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sowing needle sizes. Webbing and truck tarp. MYOG.’ is closed to new replies.