• This topic has 27 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by aP.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • So…What tyres?
  • will
    Free Member

Yes yes i know, another what tyre thread, put this one is important. 🙄

So today i got 5 snake bites… i had a massive DH tube in the back, and a 2.35″ tube in front, still go snake bites. Now come to teh conclusion that it is my tyres. (Maxxis Ignitor folding 2.35″) So any tyres that would almost eliminate snake bites?

Any no…I’m not going tubeless 😆

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Tubeless is the only answer

james
    Free Member

What rims are you using? (is your rim strip intact?)
    What pressure have you been using?
    On a hardtail or FS?

will
    Free Member

Rims are…Not sure 😆 i’ll check
    Pressure wise: around 30psi, but usually, pump until feels right
    Full sus

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve had a Maxxis Advantage on the rear for the last few rides and I’ve had an average of about 1 puncture per ride. Before then I had Schwalbe Fat Albert snakeskin and not had a peep for about 30 rides, including two Alps trips. Needless to say the Scwalbe’s gone back on but I suspect the answer long term is tubeless, as suggested. When I’ve got some time and the tyres need changing then I’ll go this route.

will
    Free Member

Thanks for that, i’ll have a look at them 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

Learn to ride light, rather than just ploughing through stuff…

will
    Free Member

twohats – Member
    Learn to ride light, rather than just ploughing through stuff…

I did think that may have something to do with it… 😆

solamanda
    Free Member

Tubeless, get some bmx tubes and sealant and see the light. Bollocks this riding light stuff, you’ll get less traction (depending on other factors of your riding style).

Keva
    Free Member

30psi isn’t a huge amount, ok it’s not flat either but I’d be concerned about getting snakebites at that pressure especially if the ground is a bit rocky. I run my tyres at 40psi and only drop the pressure if it wet I feel like I need a bit more grip.

…I pinch flatted at cwmcarn once, ran straight over a couple of small rocks that I didn’t see ’cause I was riding like a plank. I felt the rims hit and both tyres went instantly flat ! ..so yep, it’s a good idea to look where yer going and get out the seat occassionaly 🙂

will
    Free Member

Hmmm…i might try it, only problem is, i have to buy a rear tyre anyway as i cut a large couple of holes in it today 🙄

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

It’s very very difficult (nigh on impossible) to pinch a dh tube in a 2 ply tyre. Get some 2ply maxxis with a mid sized tube unless you’re running very low pressures and plowing through rock gardens.

If your doing that a dh tube will sort you out.

will
    Free Member

I had a DH tube, maxxis thing, and tbh it has been very good until now, I guess I may have been unlucky…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Put more air in the tyres, eat less pies, ride with some finesse.

I hate the feel of soft tyres anyway – 35 is as low as I go in the front and usually 40 in the rear. try checking your pressures – I wonder if you are riding with well under 30 psi

simondbarnes

30psi isn’t a huge amount

It is in 2.35″ tyres.

hustler
    Free Member

I’m with others on this thread, try maxxis dual ply with downhill tubes. Had this set up on the rear for 8 months including a trip to spain and have had no punctures. Also try running tyres a bit harder I use 35psi

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just use 40psi in your tyres. I’d agree, 30 feels shit unless you are running dual plys and are riding downhill.

40 seems to feel more lively but it does offer a bit less grip. I run single ply maxxis tyres and tesco inner tubes on a hardtail and dont get punctures very often, and alot of the riding it do is quite fast and very rocky.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Whatever you do DONT get dual ply tyres and downhill tubes. Your bike will feel awful. I dont really know any donwhillers who use downhill tubes and dual plays together, its far to heavy.

hustler
    Free Member

sorry dave but i totaly disagree with you and i aint new to this sport. It is all relative to what you do with your bike and i am happy with mine. I also know many downhillers that do not use dual ply tyres and downhill tubes but they are racing, i’m not.

will
    Free Member

Thanks for the opinions guys, think i’ll get some new tyres, and run them harder, with correct pressure, that still not work then i may gives tubless ago. Not really wanting dualply, as it is a all day bike, not a DH bike 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I also used to hate getting punctures (probably like you I guess) and I used to run an old tyre inside the outer tyre, so I was effectively running two rear tyres.

It was great as I never got a puncture, but if I rode someone else’s bike, it would then make my bike feel really slow and heavy in comparison.

I sacked it off years ago and now run higher pressures and standard tubes. I can put up with getting a puncture once in every 5 rides since my bike rides far better.

If your going to do it, Id recommend trying dual ply tyres without dh tubes first. I rode Hamsterley downhill course today with 40 psi in the back and dual ply tyres (tesco tubes though) and didnt puncture, and I heard my rear rim ‘ding’ a couple of times since a few of the drop offs are on to rocky landings. This was on a hardtail aswell so I cant see how you’ll have problems on a full sus

solamanda
    Free Member

DH tubes are not necessary with a good dual ply tyre. Either go for dual ply with standard tubes or tubeless. How heavy are you? Pressures are meaningless without rider weight.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

This is a prety basic problem to solve if your open minded to sugestions. From your post it sounds like most of your problems are pinch flats. You also say you pump yor tyres to about 30psi or when they feel hard enough. You cant press your thumb down any harder than about 20 psi so you cant tell how much presure you have above that. If your tubes are spliting because there is not enough presure inside them to stop the rim pinching the tube on impacts…….. then you need more presure. Its that simple. If you go tubless you will probably be able to run lower presure to get better grip but there will be no tube to pinch. Thats not to say that the next week link in the chain will get damaged, i.e the tyre side wall or the rim. Why not stick 40 psi in the front and 45 psi in the rear and go do the same ride as a back to back test. Then you will know if it helps.

will
    Free Member

Thanks guys 🙂 Just getting one rear tyre now (as that is slashed) and going to run normal tubes, and higher Psi, as NCB suggested.

I’ll report back. 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

Acquire a bit finesse whilst you’re at it too! 😉

will
    Free Member

😆

GW
    Free Member

To Davidtaylforth & Sloamanda – RE: DH tubes

32psi Maxxis Dualply with maxxis DH tube pinch flatted on me last run yesterday. it happens 😉

aP
    Free Member

We ride our tandem with 25/30psi fr/rr. Must be doing something wrong. 😛

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘So…What tyres?’ is closed to new replies.