Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Southport & Italians
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Went out for the day to Southport & had a very nice meal in a lovely Italian restaurant. The staff/family were all Italian natives, and afterwards we noticed how many Italian eateries & ice cream places there are in a fairly small area.
    I was wondering why so many Italians wound up on the Fylde Coast – hardly the Bay of Naples is it?

Mind you, its the height of sophistication compared to its neighbour across the estuary..

maccruiskeen

Can’t think of anything particular to southport but typically each wave of immigration tends to initially settle in inner cities then over the generations those populations slowly migrate out to the suburbs and beyond as they become more established and affluent. So an italian community might have drifted out to Southport from Liverpool.

toemul
    Free Member

Southport Fylde coast? Lot Italian in Wales interned to isle of man in world wars maybe some connection there.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not complaining, the food was really well done – we will definitely drive the hour+ to eat there again. Just that the Fylde Coast is a bit of a backwater & not a place you’d think was a multi cultural melting pot.

ulysse
    Free Member

Its the Turks in Southport i’m thankful for, every trip over i make a point of hitting up Bodram kebab house, it might be clogging me arteries prematurely, but by gawd theyre nice!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We saw that, worth it then? A good Turkish kebab blows holes in the Indian/Pakistani versions!

ulysse
    Free Member

Ohhh definately! The meat is nothing like the Anatolia stuff you get around Manchester, hand carved with a proper knife not some laser fine rotating doofer, and the marinade makes the chicken unbelielavably morish, it looks like nowt on earth from outside, but the taste of the food is unquestionable. Freindly staff too so its always a win

ulysse
    Free Member

Im just laughing at your “worth the hour drive” comment
    We’ve visited mates in Liverpool city centre the long way round via Southport a few times now, just for the craic , mind 😛

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Just that the Fylde Coast is a bit of a backwater & not a place you’d think was a multi cultural melting pot.

Southport’s in Merseyside,south of the Ribble,the Fylde’s north of the Ribble,just saying.. 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Southport & Italians’ is closed to new replies.