Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • SouthLakes100 #Jennride 20 guaranteed places left be quick :-)
  • postierich
    Free Member

As above 130 already donated free beer at the end lets get over the 3K target
    Would be good to see more STW regulars supporting a great cause
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1778400099107208/
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Richard-Munro7
    email me if not on FB richard.munro@outlook.com
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/H68bH2]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

martinhutch

Go on then…donation for a 100 place made in honour of my late BiL.

whitestone
    Free Member

We’re in! The 100 for us. I think I just pushed it through the 3K target 😆

richpips
    Free Member

Tom and I will be there.

martinhutch

I’ll see some of you for at least the first four minutes. 😀

IvanDobski
    Free Member

When and where? (Not on Facebook and can’t be the only one!)

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m not on FB either – Staveley outside the Hawkshead Brewery on the 19th May 2017

postierich
    Free Member

Sorry non face bookers !
    A Bike packing event, you chose the distance 100 miles of sweet rideable BWs or if you have the legs 200 kilometres of Lakeland fells which will involve a bit of hikeabike. A great ride devised by Alan Goldsmith. Both routes will have downloadable routes for you to follow and you can even do it the old school way using a map!.
    Start point will be the Staveley Millyard next to More Bakery and Hawkshead Brewery, entry will be by donation of your choice to St Gemmas Hospice in memory of Jenn Hill.
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Richard-Munro7
    Leave your name please once you have donated on the page so I can keep track of numbers 🙂
    Please share and show an interest on this page and keep the weekend free . Thanks for reading 🙂
    Route for the South Lakes 100 miles
    http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=jacbblvphdiaenxw
    http://singletrackworld.com/2016/05/south-lakes-100-jennride/
    Route for the Lakeland 200 kilometres
    http://www.selfsupporteduk.net/routes/Lakeland200.html

Rider list so far! Start Places Available 150
    1.Damian Roebuck 2.Joe France 3.Martin Silvester4.Stu Taylor
    5.Stephen Vear 6 Matt Benson 7 Barry Pritchard 8.Jason Maguire 9. Jason Liddell 10. Mick Knight 11. Steve Air 12. Paul Burton 13. John Climber 14.George Sewell 15 Matt Harvey 16. Martin Harris 17. Phil Miles 18.Steve Makin 19.Ian Fitz 20.Greg May 21.Andy Penn 22.Andy Bennett 23. Mike Clarke 24.Shaun Cunningham 25.Craig 26. Matt Ellis 27.Javier Simon 28.Matthew Cockerham 29 Gil Montague 30. Alan Goldsmith 31.Andy Williamson 32. Michael Collins 33. Cath Robinson 34Piers Mortimer 35.Sarah Shaw 36 Al Shaw 37.Mark Rawlinson 38.Jane Chadwick 39.Andy Chadwick 40. Simon Lerpiniere 41.Stuart Rider 42.Ed Napier 43. Paul Ramadan 44 Nick Wallis 45. Andy Tromans 46.Bill Comer 47. Tony Craig 48.Daniel Parsons 49 Paul Garvey 50.Steve Hunt 51.Mike Toyn 52.Mike Davies 53.John Tansley 54. Ian Ashton 55.John Killan 56.Matt Bailey 57.Brian Mackrory 58.Steve Hicks 59.Andy Hammond 60.Alex Brett 61.Al High 62.David Palmer 63.Kevin 64.Rt Hon Lord Hind 65.Mark Evans 66.Chris Burl 67. Dan Thompson 68Jason Woodhouse 69.Scott Morton 70.Karen Lederer 71. Jessica Wiegand 72.James Warren 73.Fiona Massey74Tom Hill75Alun Pigott 76.Iona MacGregor77.Paul Green 78.Mark Bolton 79 Debz? 80.Stuart Wright 81.Rob STM 82.Steven Williamson 83.Stu Sheridan 84.Alex Harris 85. Sarah Ellis 86.Huw Ellis 87.Owen Arman 88.Robin Fisk(next year) 🙂 89.James Warren 90.Emma Peasland 91Paul Aengenheister 92.Chris Craig 93.Stuart Cowperthwaite 94.Sarah Keast 95. Rich Harris 96. Mark Winks 97.Jamie Booth 98Natalie Hodson 99.Ellie Davies 100.Mike Pearson 101.Richard Garcia 102. Kath Makinson 103. Andy Nordqvist 104.Pete Gretton105.Richard Smith 106 Mark Stenhouse 107 Mike Owen 108 Paul Fay 109 Paul Spencer 110. Karl Booth 111. Jay Gleave 112.Julie Julie Greengrass 113 Tom Humphrey 114 Chris Simmons 115 Mark Ward 116.Alun Wyn Jones 117 Jamie Brockway 118 Pedro Baboonwinckle 119.Neil Ruddock 120 Peter Booth 121Antony Smythe 122.Matthew Jones 123.Celia Way124 Ross Borthwick 125 Ian Hardie 126 Paul Gibbons 127 Andy Carter 128 Sioelan Tjoa 129 Martin Hutchinson 130 Bob Wightman 131 Cath Wightman 132 Tim Gray133.Tom Rich Seipp 134

JohnClimber
    Free Member

For those not on FB.
    Simply donate £20 or more for each rider via the Just Giving Page aand drop Rich an email to the address on the first post

postierich
    Free Member

No set donation just what you want to/can afford 🙂
    The 100 will be 98% rideable this year as you will be going up Garburn the right way this year 🙂
    looking like a 70/30% split between the 100mile and the 200km routes

mrhoppy

Rich, I’m in, sent you a mail.

SimonR

Thanks for organising Rich 🙂

Looking forward to it.

dazh

I was just thinking about this earlier. In for the 200. First bike-packing event, probably bitten off more than I can chew!

whitestone
    Free Member

@dazh – sorry to break it to you but the Lakeland 200 is one of the harder of the short ITTs – well those I know who’ve done/tried it say so and I’ve no reason to doubt them given their ride history. Don’t know how many try it but here’s the current success list: http://www.selfsupporteduk.net/routes/Lakeland200.html

There hasn’t been a group start on the LL200 yet so it will be interesting to see how that changes the dynamic. Doing a route like that as a genuine ITT is a much different proposition to a group start – I did the 2015 YD200 as an ITT and I think I saw three other riders in 14hrs and no-one, not even walkers, for the last 80Km.

After that load of negativity, the 100 mile is a relaxed affair with occasional economies with the route 😆 I’m doing the 100 mile ride as I’ve something on the following week 😉

dazh

Yeah I’m under no illusions as to what I need to do to get round. I can cope with that amount of riding, it’s the hike-a-bike that concerns me 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Get as many overnight rides done as you can to sort out what you need kit wise, if you are ruthless then you can get away with very little which will make the riding a lot easier. On the first YD300 I had 10Kg of kit, on the second I knew what I was doing and had 4Kg (inc food).

Cutting out faffage time makes a big difference as well: even at the low overall speeds you’ll be doing, five minutes not moving forward is around a kilometre in distance. Quite often the difference in actual riding time between riders is very little but the slower rider sat in a cafe for 40mins not 20, etc.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Cheers Rich

been meaning to get this done for weeks. Done it now. Great time last year. Please get the same weather booked!

I rode back some of the last leg with you after the impromptu breakfast in Ambleside!
    See you there!

GregMay
    Free Member

As ever, see you there Rich.

200. SS. Me. Target to beat.

postierich
    Free Member

Your in the “nutter class” Greg!!! hopefully catch up for a few pints in the Brewery the night before.

What are peoples ideas on start time for the 200 group start(not compulsory)

Rich

whitestone
    Free Member

What are peoples ideas on start time for the 200 group start(not compulsory)

How similar are the starts of the two routes this year? I’d be inclined to let the 200 group start head off first, if only by a few minutes, so that us leisure riders don’t get in their way.

postierich
    Free Member

A few pics from the 200 I did a few years ago !
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nzrich/albums/72157634672946804
    Walna Scar
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/faPVKg]DSCF3436[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    Boggiest towards Boot 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/fb6bwU]DSCF3440[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

richpips
    Free Member

The bogfest section has been improved now.

My successful 200 write up

http://sometimesridesbikes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/lakeland-200-mountain-bike-itt.html

Oh, and when Tom and I gave it a go on the tandem.

http://minipips.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/a-couple-of-days-in-lakes-with-tandem.html

Be assured the 200 though not that much further than the 100, is a very different beast, especially if the weather is gash.

postierich
    Free Member

I was thinking a 6am start for the 200(km) and as last year a 9.30am start for the 100(miles)
    They head in different directions at the start!
    If it was me I would be starting at 6pm on the Friday 🙂

jkomo

Would this be a good introduction to bike packing? Should be fine with the distance and some of the kit, but having never done it before what would I need- apart from tent sleeping bag and mat, stove and food?

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s a good route taking in most of the good bridleways in the south and south east of the Lakes, Rich isn’t too strict on how exact you are with the route – last year I think everyone had their own variations at some point!

The kit *you* need is likely to be different from everyone else. Sorry, didn’t mean to sound flippant or patronising but you can stand at the start line and wonder how others manage to pack all their stuff in such small bags and feel totally inadequate. A lot will depend on the weather – last year was lovely but got a little cold overnight, but this year could be horizontal rain or dull or …

Unless you’ve a seriously light tent (around the 1Kg mark) then you might be carrying more than you really need, if it rains then you’ll be the one laughing. I’d do a few overnight rides local to you so you can figure out what works and what doesn’t. Somewhere like the Lakes you can get away without a stove, pub meal in early evening, grab some snacks for breakfast.

Here’s my bike set up for this year’s Yorkshire Dales 300 ITT.

I used a similar setup – swapped the frame bag for two stem cells and got rid of the fuel pod for the BB200 in October.

Obviously with such minimal gear you aren’t likely to get a night’s sleep like you would in the Ritz but it’s surprising just how comfy you can make yourself with very little. It does take practice though.

Worth looking and asking on the Bearbones forums – lots of us frequent both places. Stuart the guy who runs things also does reviews and blogs about techniques so those are worth looking at.

postierich
    Free Member

Its fairly low level with opportunities to cut a loop out if needs must.Lots of places to refuel without having to carry lots of food/drink. If the weather is favourable its a great introduction.

jkomo

Great, thanks.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Mr Vear last year on his Stooge

Stooge with a complete custom made bag set by Mr Vear and his trusty Singer 😀

My Parkwood

on the ride

boxelder

Gid awah – that last yan’s California 😉

postierich
    Free Member

MmmmmmStooge 🙂
    If this pic does not sell the event nothing will 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/H3RKoN]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

nedrapier

Rich, you know these trails, Puffin w. 4″JJs or Swift with 100mm up front? 🙂 For the 100.

postierich
    Free Member

I used Nates on my Puffin last year never felt a thing!!and they were perfect! we had a cross bike complete it last year! 😯

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Interested in the 100 Rich, when is the big start? cheers

nedrapier

Puffin it is then! I’m guessing some huffin too.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Rich,I’ve just donated.Put me down for the 100 miles please & will I survive on a cross bike? 😯

brennak

Sent an email for the 100, going singlespeed, 4mph but using all 20 gears to maintain it, hopefully 😕

GregMay
    Free Member

Your in the “nutter class” Greg!!! hopefully catch up for a few pints in the Brewery the night before.

I will take that as a complement.

Not planning to carry anything other than the bike. It’ll be reet.

Also – I’m not drinking as much the night before…or riding the fully loaded TD bike either 🙂

brennak

Sent an email for the 100

also donated hopefully a place left.

postierich
    Free Member

If I,ve missed anyone off let me know!

Rider list so far!
    Start Places Available 150
    1.Damian Roebuck 2.Joe France 3.Martin Silvester4.Stu Taylor
    5.Stephen Vear 6 Matt Benson 7 Barry Pritchard 8.Jason Maguire 9. Jason Liddell 10. Mick Knight 11. Steve Air 12. Paul Burton 13. John Climber 14.George Sewell 15 Matt Harvey 16. Martin Harris 17. Phil Miles 18.Steve Makin 19.Ian Fitz 20.Greg May 21.Andy Penn 22.Andy Bennett 23. Mike Clarke 24.Shaun Cunningham 25.Craig 26. Matt Ellis 27.Javier Simon 28.Matthew Cockerham 29 Gil Montague 30. Alan Goldsmith 31.Andy Williamson 32. Michael Collins 33. Cath Robinson 34Piers Mortimer 35.Sarah Shaw 36 Al Shaw 37.Mark Rawlinson 38.Jane Chadwick 39.Andy Chadwick 40. Simon Lerpiniere 41.Stuart Rider 42.Ed Napier 43. Paul Ramadan 44 Nick Wallis 45. Andy Tromans 46.Bill Comer 47. Tony Craig 48.Daniel Parsons 49 Paul Garvey 50.Steve Hunt 51.Mike Toyn 52.Mike Davies 53.John Tansley 54. Ian Ashton 55.John Killan 56.Matt Bailey 57.Brian Mackrory 58.Steve Hicks 59.Andy Hammond 60.Alex Brett 61.Al High 62.David Palmer 63.Kevin 64.Rt Hon Lord Hind 65.Mark Evans 66.Chris Burl 67. Dan Thompson 68Jason Woodhouse 69.Scott Morton 70.Karen Lederer 71. Jessica Wiegand 72.James Warren 73.Fiona Massey74Tom Hill75Alun Pigott 76.Iona MacGregor77.Paul Green 78.Mark Bolton 79 Debz? 80.Stuart Wright 81.Rob STM 82.Steven Williamson 83.Stu Sheridan 84.Alex Harris 85. Sarah Ellis 86.Huw Ellis 87.Owen Arman 88.Robin Fisk(next year) 🙂 89.James Warren 90.Emma Peasland 91Paul Aengenheister 92.Chris Craig 93.Stuart Cowperthwaite 94.Sarah Keast 95. Rich Harris 96. Mark Winks 97.Jamie Booth 98Natalie Hodson 99.Ellie Davies 100.Mike Pearson 101.Richard Garcia 102. Kath Makinson 103. Andy Nordqvist 104.Pete Gretton105.Richard Smith 106 Mark Stenhouse 107 Mike Owen 108 Paul Fay 109 Paul Spencer 110. Karl Booth 111. Jay Gleave 112.Julie Julie Greengrass 113 Tom Humphrey 114 Chris Simmons 115 Mark Ward 116.Alun Wyn Jones 117 Jamie Brockway 118 Pedro Baboonwinckle 119.Neil Ruddock 120 Peter Booth 121Antony Smythe 122.Matthew Jones 123.Celia Way124 Ross Borthwick 125 Ian Hardie 126 Paul Gibbons 127 Andy Carter 128 Sioelan Tjoa 129 Martin Hutchinson 130 Bob Wightman 131 Cath Wightman 132 Tim Gray133.Tom Rich Seipp 134Gregg Keeffe 135 Finn Allen 136 Pete Allen 137 Chris Hudson 138 Simon Read 139 Debbie Read 140 Nick Tyrrell 141Darren Hall 142 Cameron Petrie 143 Simon Morton 144 Kevin Brennan 145 Mark Foster 146 Paul Noakes 147

scruff9252

Whoop whoop! See you again Rich!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘SouthLakes100 #Jennride 20 guaranteed places left be quick :-)’ is closed to new replies.