Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Southern XC Series
  • mccraque

I see there’s one over at Liphook way this Sunday. what are they like in comparison with the Gorricks? They’re usually too far from my house but this one is within an hour or so, as such am tempted to give it a whirl.

There did seem to be a lot of lycra even in the open cat on their site video – which makes me fear that I’d just see people disappearing on corner one into a cloud of dust!

mccraque

anyone!?

njee20
    Free Member

Great events, courses are more technical than Gorricks, but anything dodgy will have a b-line. fields are smaller and probably slightly quicker on average than a Gorrick, but only you know if you’ll see everyone riding off into the distance.

There’s been no racing at Bordon for 5 years, so it’s a bit of an unknown and courses have changed in that time, so not totally sure what it’ll be like. Always used to be quite Gorrick-esque – fast, flowing, a few rolling hills. Come along!

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

About 1/2 a mile from my house so may wander over, some lovely and flowing trails in that section of mod land. Used to be a favorite course for some of my xc mates, I personally never use as Landmark guys have got a bit arsey recently with usage but recommend it as a race course. As a warning though expect quite abrasive and grindy sand in there too if its wet.

beaker

I used to work in Bordon and rode in the woods most lunchtimes. Lots of nice single track through the woods, short sharp hills and lots of sand. If I didn’t have other plans this weekend I’d come on over.

mccraque

Well I had a go. Gave no thought to tyres, pressure, or anything
    Like that. After 10 mins my glasses had steamed up, I’d nearly washed out twice and had seen most of the field
    Disappear into the first corner never to be seen again.

Great fun though!

phil40
    Free Member

It was over the road from my house, my son did the under 9’s race which suffered a little from organisation! Not sure what happened but the BC commisaires seemed to say it was everyone else problem!

I was going to do it, but my back gave way this morning and there was no way I could face trying to race on it!

Weird that there are other STW forumites so close to where i live, will have to organise a local ride at some point!

Never had any problem with land mark over on that land, apart from the lorries training i never seem to see any mod over there!

phil40
    Free Member

I did see one guy on a fat bike, with a trail dog and a great beard……..I did wonder if he might be a fellow stw’er

Yak

I was there today with the Pedal 2 Pedal kids. There was some confusion at the start and because of that the u9s and u11s ran on the course at the same time. Usually they are separate, which helps given the massive spread of abilities. Good racing though, and all our lot had fun! Mrs Yak had a decent race in vets too.

Hopefully soon I’ll be fit enough to get back on it too.

Well done OP for giving it a go! Course looked fun and despite the rain seemed to be holding up well.

njee20
    Free Member

Great course, enjoyed that a lot. Held up admirably too given the inclement weather.

njee20
    Free Member

Timelaps seemed to be playing up last night, but results up now

Yak

Phil40, hope your son had a good race and enjoyed it.
    Beard/fatbike/dog combo ? – not guilty! Someone else from here I reckon.

phil40
    Free Member

Cheers Yak, yes he loved it, and got pretty muddy!

I wish I had done the race, but pins and needles down one side of my body suggest I have done something to bugger up my back good and proper!

I wish we had known pedal 2 pedal we’re going to be there, we have signed my son up for a course in July, and it would have been good to say hello!

njee20
    Free Member

There was a guy on a cross bike too which appeared to have Chinese carbon wheels. I wondered if that was someone from here!

Searchable photos here, and non-searchable ones here.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Timelaps seemed to be playing up last night, but results up now

Scarcely even lap times going on there Njee! You training for a 24 hour race?

ferrals
    Free Member

Which bit of the Bordon ranges was it? Longmoor?

medders
    Free Member

rode this on sunday – my first XC race. Absolutely loved it and big thanks to all involved/organisers. Course was good – the additional rain while we were out on it did make the final lap much more slippery.

Will definitely be riding the others this year. I’m sure I made loads of tactical errors – esp. at the beginning in not going hard to get into first section of singletrack higher up the field as ended up getting stuck way back. Going to focus rest of this year and winter on training to see if I can get to a standard to move up to, and hold my own, in vets.

Yak

Phil40 – ah yes, would have been good to catch up!

We aim to race at all the southerns as they have kids races for all ages. Gorricks start at 8 iirc. The other series we did last year was the XC Rampage series at Checkendon as they have good all-ages kids races too.

njee20
    Free Member

Scarcely even lap times going on there Njee! You training for a 24 hour race?

Weird eh?! 5 laps with 15 second variance. I think I’ve got into a rut of “I’m really unfit, and I’m gonna do badly so I’ll just have fun”, then I realise I’m cruising, so end up pushing a bit harder at the end when id normally be knackered!

But I am actually doing a 24 hour road charity ride in 3 weeks, so maybe it’s not so bad!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Southern XC Series’ is closed to new replies.