Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Southern upland way
  • overbikedagain
    Free Member

Is it rideable? Hatching a plan……fancy doing it over 3-4 days

br
    Free Member

The bit from St Marys to the east coast definitely is (we live just off it), and fun on an MTB.

overbikedagain
    Free Member

Cool thinking of bothy hopping with the inevitable Pish up at the end

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Not much fun on the soggy wet moorlands on the west side. Frustrating and annoying in anything less than 3 weeks of dry weather.

Trekster

Lots of hike’a bike, bogs, heather etc.
    Done most of it from Sanquhar to Peebles as days out.
    Big hike out of Sanquhar and again up to the radar station at Wanlockhead. Do not ride the section from the radar station, take the “track” down Enterkin Burn to the Dalveen Pass then ride up the road to rejoin the SupW. There is another huge(1hr)hike up from the Daer Res. More hiking on the sections out of Moffat up and over to St Mary’s Loch.

3-4 days 😯 through boggy fields ❗

Trekster

SupW just off the Dalveen Pass road on the way to Daer on a damp, drieght day 😆

Moffat to St Mary’s

Think I would do the Gypsie Glen track down into Peebles rather than the boring grassy fields into Innerliethen then take the road along to Inners or Pods at GT 💡

somafunk

Don’t bother, out of the 212 miles i’d say only 40 – 50 miles of it are worth it, (I’m local to s-w scotland and we did it a few times back in the 90’s) either do as trekster says or take one of your days as a travelling there & back day and head up to Aviemore for some proper riding.

Trekster

A friend of mine is contemplating a route which takes in most of the Stanes and some sections of the SupW ❗ I know he is very fit and does a lot of road miles but this is a different scenario altogether…….

br
    Free Member

Think I would do the Gypsie Glen track down into Peebles rather than the boring grassy fields into Innerliethen then take the road along to Inners or Pods at GT

Except it is a severe hike-a-bike up to Birks Cairn.

yorlin
    Free Member
    Trekster

b r – Member
    Think I would do the Gypsie Glen track down into Peebles rather than the boring grassy fields into Innerliethen then take the road along to Inners or Pods at GT

Except it is a severe hike-a-bike up to Birks Cairn.

No worse than the hike out of Sanquhar and up from the Daer.

coastkid
    Free Member

Not as wet and miserable as some make out. Ridden most of the route in places over the years. Doing it in 2 weeks time, bike packing with the Hennessy Hammock. Will post up a link to the blog post of the entire ride.
    29+ Surly KramPug (kind of a bastard Surly ECR) will be the ideal bike for the wet bits and rough gravel sections and grassy byways 😉

rudedog
    Free Member

I did a write up of the western end a couple of years ago in this thread :

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/southern-upland-way-4

onehundredthidiot

THere is a guide to scottish ride that has a version of the SUW in it, looks much better than the SUW itself.

Trekster

onehundredthidiot – Member
    THere is a guide to scottish ride that has a version of the SUW in it, looks much better than the SUW itself.

Where do we find this guide?

coastkid – Member
    Not as wet and miserable as some make out.
    Will post up a link to the blog post of the entire ride.

True. That photo was taken on a very wet day after a very wet period 🙄

Looking forward to your blog. Enjoy. 🙂

onehundredthidiot

Think it was “bike Scotland trails guide”

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Southern upland way’ is closed to new replies.