Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Southern Spain – puncture-tastic?
  • stevious

Got a holiday booked with Freeride Spain in a couple of weeks and have noticed that a few of the local guides’ websites recommending a tubeless set-up. I don’t seem to get too many punctures round these parts (highlands) so haven’t gone tubeless, but are the trails around there especially puncture-inducing? Will my holiday be ruined by stopping and pumping my tyres up every 30 mins?

BadlyWiredDog

Yes, lots of thorns on certain routes. Tubeless with sealant works brilliantly out there, you’ll live without, but chances are you’ll flat a couple of times a day without. I wouldn’t fret over it though, you’ll be fine.

Smarty
    Free Member

Was on the Orihuela coast last August and found the area paticularly ‘thorny’, one ride was cut short after 7 puntures between 2 of us. 3 of which we noticed at a ‘brew’ stop, chained bkes to the fence outside the cafe and came back out to 3 totally flat tires, my first thought was that someone let them down cos we’d parked them in the wrong place or something.

Of cousre it could just have been bad luck 🙄

What ever you decide, enjoy yourself :mrgreen:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bunnerscj
    Free Member

went with switchbacks spain tubeless, group of 8, not one puncture !
    Would seriously recommend it

balfa
    Free Member

I was out with freeride spain in November and was glad of tubeless. The two of us with tubeless had no punctures all week whilst the one without had 10! You could maybe get away with slime tubes or similar if you don’t want to fork out lots.

clubby

Been with Freeride Spain 3 times, never tubeless and never had a puncutre. Seen the guides and other tubeless riders puncture and still have to put a tube in due to ripped sidewalls.
    I do run a tubeless set up now because my bike came with it, but the conversion process for a set up designed for tubes can be a right faff and take time to get used to. I’d just go as you are or as balfa said, use slime tubes to defend against thorns.
    Enjoy your trip.

stevious

Ok, thanks guys. Given me some food for thought – might have to invest in some slime tubes as I’m not even sure a tubeless setup would work on my rim/tyre combo (wire bead high rollers on DT 420 rims if anyone cares).

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I was out there with switchbacks, they recommend (in caps) dual ply tyres & tubeless.
    I went singleply tubeless & 40psi & still got a splinter of rock through the tyre (plugged with sticky string).

In the rest of the group we had loads of thorn punctures and a lot of snakebite on the 1st day with a few guys trying to run 35psi in tubed set ups.

HTH

Kahurangi

I had a week with Switch-Backs. I used UST tyres with sealant but ran my pressures too low so got one puncture that took a minute to seal itself and one snakebite pinch that was too close to the rim to seal with the sticky string. This was last ride on the last day though so didn’t have an opportunity to flat the tube.

Of the rest of the group I rode with, three had no punctures, one had 7 or 8.

Slime tubes could be good?

carlphillips
    Free Member

i had dt 420 rims and used the bonty rim strips..£4 ea and they worked lovely, not used HR though always use spesh captains or fastracks or bonty mud x..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rode in the sierra nevada’s last summer and our group of six riders dozens of punctures between us. Was ridiulous. We’d stop to fix a puncture and by the time we’d be ready to get going again someone else’s tyre would be flat. Also each morning there were at least a couple of flats from slow punctures from to the previous days riding. Apparently down to some thorny bush that sheds it’s spikes. Would definitely go tubeless next time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Southern Spain – puncture-tastic?’ is closed to new replies.