Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Southern Spain
  • wee-al
    Free Member

Ok, so i’m planning to move to southern Spain next month, mainly for bike riding and i need a bit of help from anyone with local knowledge. I’ve been looking at the Costa tropical (namely Almunecar. Does anyone have any experience of the riding round there (mtb and road) and/or know of any clubs. Is there somewhere else i should be looking that has a better variety? Or is nicer.

Are there any guiding companys close that could give me a flavour of the locale?

If anyone lives in the area and would like to show me round that would be good to 🙂

Any help/opinions would be greatly received.

Cheers, Allan.

donsimon
    Free Member

How’s your Spanish? It might worth asking here. There’s even a section for foreign bikers.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

been to competa which is north west and inland from Almunecar. it’s great! i would love to spend a month exploring. not familiar with Almunecar itself but it can’t be too bad! bubion going north east is where some company is based (forget who) and it’s ace around there as well. hth

wee-al
    Free Member

My Spanish is garbage. I’m going to take a course when i get there.

Cheers for the link seems like a Spanish singletrack, but you know…….for people that actually ride ;-0

wee-al
    Free Member

No ex pats Or guides?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Talking to the guides at Switchbacks the locals don’t ‘get’ trail riding.

The XC boys ride up roads and occasionaly down fire roads. Ocasionaly they’ll ride up a proper track, but not down it.
    The DH boys refuse to pedal.
    No one does anything inbetween.

Riding is awesome thought.

wee-al
    Free Member

Christ, that’s something to think about.

Looks like i’ll be riding on my own a lot then!

donsimon
    Free Member

I can’t agree with tinas’s sweeping generalisation. 😉

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I was at bubion with switchbacks last yr.
    Trails above bubion are awesome. VERY rocky & thorny, so lots of flat tyres if you are running anything other than dualply tubeless at 40+psi. I can’t emphasize this enough.

To find trails like Moody French Bastard, historectomiser, punctured lung and 48 stitches, by buying beers for Herick or Michael at Switchbacks ALT: buy a few days guided riding from them – which will save you the climbs 😉 or do what michael did: get a large map & tour all the walking trails to see which ones are rideable 😉

thisisnotaspoon means “the locals ride up fire roads & down on tarmac” -they tend to be VERY lycra XC whippet types & DH/AM type riding doesn’t compute. you might find to odd enlightened soul, but they will be odd. 😀

crotchrocket
    Free Member

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

We are based in Fuengirola on the coast. If you get in touch with us when you are here we can point you in the direction of some good trails or you could even come out with us.
    http://www.sierracycling.com.
    Don´t know about the trails in costa Tropical but it is a lovely area.

wee-al
    Free Member

Cheers Alan. Might give you a wee call sometime to arrange something/pick your brains if that’s ok?

Al

mogrim

thisisnotaspoon means “the locals ride up fire roads & down on tarmac” -they tend to be VERY lycra XC whippet types & DH/AM type riding doesn’t compute. you might find to odd enlightened soul, but they will be odd

Suppose that might be the case in the south, but here in Madrid it’s definitely not the case, and it’s not just DH types but trail riding too.

sunnrider
    Free Member

southerners are strange it seems no matter what country you´re in 😉

Best riding in Spain as far as I can tell is in the north, Basque region and Pyrenees. Theres plenty of lycra clowns but enduro/am is well on the increase.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Southern Spain’ is closed to new replies.