Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • southern softie riders, explain yourselves?
  • jonrambo
    Free Member

it was mentioned on another thread about northern england not being as gnarly and to " come down south for some proper stuff" WHAT!!! is this a joke! dartmoor! ha! the facts are there, lake district, hebbers, wharnecliffe, steve peat, yorkshire man! admit southern softies, we're much more hardcore then yow!! 😆

MarkN
    Free Member

Let me just pull up a chair for this… 😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

jon rambo is a legend. 😀

grumm
    Free Member

No what we don't realise is that mountain biking is actually all about finding a 30 metre slope in some tiny woods on the outskirts of London, building a small drop off on it and giving it an extreme sounding name like 'The Dominator trail' – then riding it over and over again because there's nowhere else to go. 😛

CaptJon
    Free Member

Are you on the Olympic design team grum?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Having lived in the Peaks and near Swinley I know which I prefer for moutainbiking.

You can keep your 20ft wide unpaved motorways you think of as trails, I'll keep the singletrack 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon… so which is it, swinley or peaks?

glenp
    Free Member

Yes that's right. I'm forever wishing I had some bleak windswept treeless rockfest of a Godforsaken moor to battle over, with some fizzy bitter to look forward to at the end. 🙂

Instead, all we got is the most wooded county in the land.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

spot on john! he's not a troll, he's a shredder! like it cos its true! 😆

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Tis true – the trails down here are awful, you best stay oop Norf and not trouble us yocals with your sophistication.

Now, how to convince you the same about our beaches . . .. . .

cynic-al
    Free Member

Once this thread is done I am commisioning Jon McRambo for teh Scotch version :mrgreen:

MarkN
    Free Member

Myabe the northeners can call it as it is "Mountain Biking" and the southerners can call it "Low Gentle Slope Biking" Just an idea… 😆

poppa
    Free Member

Yes, down south = dartmoor

and

dartmoor = down south

It's pretty crowded on this here moor.

matt_outandabout

How far North to move from gnar to uber gnar?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Swinley 🙂

There's bits I like about the North, the M1 and the M6 southbound I think are my favourite trails :p

In all seriousnes, there are some good trails in the North, Warncliffe, Blacka Moor, bits of Grizedale, the switchbacks coming down of cut Gate, etc but we're talking isolated bits of trail that sometimes take a 2 hour ride to get to the top of.

Swinley or the Surrey Hills has more quality singletrack each than the North of Englnd had in total. And you can do a 20mile ride entirely on the kind of trails you'd slog for 2 hours to get to up north just to ride the kilometer of singletrack at the end!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

'aint no mountains in the peak district…………

No what we don't realise is that mountain biking is actually all about finding a 30 metre slope in some tiny woods on the outskirts of London, building a small drop off on it and giving it an extreme sounding name like 'The Dominator trail' – then riding it over and over again because there's nowhere else to go.

What like "The beast" which consists of a load of rocks and a grand total of 2 corners?

alex222
    Free Member

You're right there absoltly no single track up north. None in the peaks none in west yorkshire, none in th north penines, non in the north york moors, none in the yorkshire dales, definitely non in scotand (especially the cairngorms and none in the lakes; there are also no hills, no rocks and no roots just northerners and industrial wasteland.

nickc

TJ posted some film of Northern Mountain biking the other week, a descent so gnarly (straight double track) that the riders were sitting down…Rad.

And Still one of them managed to fall off….

You guys opp Norf rock, respect….

philconsequence
    Free Member

Having not riden "ooop norf" i cant comment, but i do love Swinley….. 3rd ride there consisted of 13 miles of singletrack, longest time spent on a fire-road was cutting across it to get back on more singletrack, since then i've only found one of those sections again!

cant believe i've lived here for 4-5 years and didnt realise what was on my doorstep.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Most of you Northerners wouldn't know what to do with a decent bit of singletrack if it came up and punched you in the face.

The North is a barren, cold, damp, windswept, cultural wasteland with all the charm of a molten lead enema.

Our terrain is so much better than yours that it's almost laughable that you should think otherwise. You can't try and include Scotland in your definition of the North either as that is a different country FFS.

alex222
    Free Member

all any one up north has to remind you of is http://elbry.blogspot.com/

toomanybikes
    Free Member

jools…….you forgot to add, full of unemployed benefit scroungers

BadlyWiredDog

In all seriousnes, there are some good trails in the North, Warncliffe, Blacka Moor, bits of Grizedale, the switchbacks coming down of cut Gate, etc but we're talking isolated bits of trail that sometimes take a 2 hour ride to get to the top of.

Could you post grid references and directions to those trails please, I've been driving down south to ride every weekend, but if there are actually half-decent trails within reach of the Peaks District, it'd be good to know where they are. I guess even an area as unpromising as northern England must have the odd reasonable bit.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

and no-one has even mentioned Exmoor and the Quantocks yet….

Tiger6791

Swinley or the Surrey Hills has more quality singletrack each than the North of Englnd had in total.

I ride at Swinley a lot and that simply ain't true.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Having lived in the Peaks and near Swinley I know which I prefer for moutainbiking.

Me too. The Peaks easily.

BUT

A lot of the locals know that within a few miles of Swinley is far, far better riding. 🙂

Having not riden "ooop norf" i cant comment, but i do love Swinley….. 3rd ride there consisted of 13 miles of singletrack, longest time spent on a fire-road was cutting across it to get back on more singletrack, since then i've only found one of those sections again!

cant believe i've lived here for 4-5 years and didnt realise what was on my doorstep.

Mate, Swinley is pants these days. Where do you live? If you fancy it, I can take you for a ride on waaaaaaay better trails than that. SIngletrack that's still actually SINGLE for a start! 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

'aint no mountains in the peak district…………

What like "The beast" which consists of a load of rocks and a grand total of 2 corners?

Wouldn't know – I've never ridden in the Peak District – that's down south. 🙂

kimbers

ok im in liverpool this weekend i have a sunday morning pass where should i go

llandegla is my fav at the moment – its nearby and i cant get lost

but any other tips

id consider taking the dh bike if there were any uplift services nearby

if i get no replies ill know that the DH runs at swinley are the pinacle of english extreme gnar biking

MarkN
    Free Member

I must have missed the DH run at Swinley.

philconsequence
    Free Member

sandhurst for my sins….. i'm up for it at some point, need to work on my bike-fitness for a while first… that ride was a killer as i've only been riding about 2-3 months after a 15 year gap. still not able to handle much more than 10miles (with a lot of stops) at the mo due to a busted shoulder and a social life organised behind my back by the vagina.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think he means the bits near the jump gulley Mark…. But yeah, point taken 🙂

Phil – Drop me an email (in profile) if you fancy a ride sometime. I'm sure I can organise a nice relaxed ride. I don't do fast anyway. 🙂

Cougar

Myabe the northeners can call it as it is "Mountain Biking" and the southerners can call it "Low Gentle Slope Biking"

Just discussing this with a mate and he suggested,

>>
    northern – Hill Riding
    Scottish – Mountain Riding
    Southern – Slope riding
    Welsh – Sheep riding
    <<

I, however, am refraining from comment.

alex222
    Free Member

so southerners are harder because they are

not able to handle much more than 10miles (with a lot of stops)

😆

julioflo
    Free Member

Yes Dartmoor is really crowded.
    As for Exmoor and the Quantocks, they don't really exist, they are just figments of journalist's imaginations.

kimbers

well theres this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ckIWH825g

but this is what i was talking about

philconsequence
    Free Member

Alex222…. i never claimed to be harder, and i also made a point of saying "Having not riden "ooop norf" i cant comment"

using a beginner who hasnt riden for 15 years (or done pretty much any exercise in those 15 years) as an example of southern riders is like saying all northeners are short, overweight, missing half their teeth, on benefits, sporting a massive beer belly and the IQ of a reporter for the daily sport…. this is my experience of northeners from touring… 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Jedi lives darn sarf – damn mincer 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Kimbers, If by DH you mean 'going down a bit of a hill for 30 seconds or so', rather than the usual sense of DH – then yeah I suppose that's a DH trail. 😉

Of course oop north it would barely qualify as a hummock let along a hill…

joolsburger
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDEWfvBF0w – There is around another 3/4 mile or so of singletrack trail prior to this so a good 10-15 minutes heading down all the way. I'd say that is a hill.

molgrips
    Free Member

This has been done to death.

There IS plenty of great riding down South. It's not mountainous, but it's cracking.

Plenty of great riding up North too. And west. Sadly not east tho 😉

Aren't we lucky 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘southern softie riders, explain yourselves?’ is closed to new replies.