• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Stu.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Southern Scotland rides
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

A few of us are heading up to Fort William for the World Cup in June. Since we’re driving up from the Peak District I wanted to break up the trip with some riding on the way. Other than the 7 Stanes what do people recommend? I’d rather do some natural trails of up to 40km or so. Anything around Loch Lomond worthy of full suss?

Trekster

try stirling bike club web site or GMBC glasgow mountainbike club

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Perhaps a bit out of your way, unless you head up the A9 to Dalwhinnie (which puts you in a good position for a day at Laggan), but if you stop in Pitlochry I’d recommend this ride.

It’s from the STW “trail guide”. It’s a good circuit as it stands, but is much better if you head up to Ben Vrackie for the final grin-inducing descent to the finish rather than just plodding back along the river. This descent is the dotted line that leads to Moulin on the map.

Distance 40km. Let me know if you want a Garmin file.

SC

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“Anything around Loch Lomond worthy of full suss? “

we are not worthy!

druidh
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member

Anything around Loch Lomond worthy of full suss?

Not exactly 40km, but there’s always Ben Lomond. Just make sure it’s midweek so as to avoid all the walkers.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Thanks. Pitlochry is too far out of the way really. It doesn’t have to be 40km, just no more than 40km. I shall have a look on the sites recommended.

Sanny
    Free Member

Ben Lomond from Balmaha. Out and back along the lochside – cracking trails along the West Highland Way. Long push and carry to the top of the Ben. Grin from ear to ear on the descent. Marvellous! Excellent pub stop mid ride at the foot of the Ben at Rowardennan. Have a look at the attached link from the ride a few of us did last year.

IMG_8052

An easier option is Conic Hill coupled with an out and back on the West Highland Way to Rowardennan.

Cheers

Sanny

PS You could stop in Kinlochleven and ride the Ciaran Path or the Blackwater dam descent. Sturatie c has pics on his Flickr account. I’d definitely recommend Pitlochry or Dunkeld. It doesn’t add much top the journey time if you go via Perth as you can head accross from Dalwhinnie and come into Fort William from the east.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Pitlochry is certainly getting the recommendations, but it doesn’t break the long journey up from Staffordshire for me. It will take me 4 1/2 hours to Edniburgh and then another 1 1/2 at least(?) to Pitlochry. The idea is to split the journey to Fort William a bit nearer the half way point. To be honest Loch Lomond is also “most of the way there” so is not ideal.

Anything to recommend nearer the border?

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

If you are heading up to Fort Bill its 6 an half a dozen which way you go, well the Edinburgh side. Stirling way or horse up the A9 and turn left. If you take the latter your not far from Aviemore and Laggan.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hi

I do appreciate everyone’s help but it’s missing the point slightly and my initial Loch Lomond reference was perhaps to blame 🙂 By “on the way” I mean something that can break up a long drive into two smaller drives. Pitlochry, Aviemore and to be fair Loch Lomond are all “most of the way” there.

What I’m really after is something south of Glasgow/Edinburgh, preferably wihin spitting distance of the M74. One of the 7 Stanes is probably just right in terms of “half way there” but I’d prefer some natural riding.

Stu

This book has at least one natural ride starting close to the M74 in the Leadhills (though I’ve not done it yet). Also you could check out Drumlanrig as its not your usual trail centre experience.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

This looks like a nice cheap read. Thanks for the tip Stu

Stu
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Southern Scotland rides’ is closed to new replies.