• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Southern Riders- Queen Eliz Country Park
  • D28boy
    Free Member

Wondered if anyone could advise what the two bike trails are like there for a newb. I’m planning a trip over this weekend. Thanx in advance

soma_rich
    Free Member

There quite short and not really techy. The switchback/downhilly bit might be a bit of a surprise to a novice but you can walk that. You’ll be fine. The cake in the coffee shop is a must too!

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely worth a go in this weather. Roots!

Hey, they’ve “branded” the cake shop! The cake is no longer what it was. A massive disappointment 🙁

Hang on Rich – not techy? You having a laff?

Lummox

agree it’s an ok short loop, best avoided after prolonged rain as it’s very chalky and would be quite sketchy for someone unfamiliar with the route.

old coffee shop was better with venison burgers

philconsequence
    Free Member

HOw short is short? I’m intruiged

Lummox

well 30 mins at a bimble pace for me, others are surely quicker

D28boy
    Free Member

Is it just a charge for parking?

Lummox

yes, think it’s a £1 regardless of time, my advice would be to drive through the main car park past the visitor centre, continue round the road to the ‘last pay machine’ i think it say’s it on it and then park in the car park on the right.

Orange route starts opposite the entrance to the car park as if you were looking back to the visitor centre. Ends also at the entrance to the car park.

splashdown
    Free Member

It’s nice and dry at present and not too slippy…

D28boy
    Free Member

thanx Lummox will give it a go

singletrackmind

£1 week days and sat, £1.50 on sunday and bank holidays.
    If you are a newbie and clear both trails with no dabs you are a better rider than I .
    Bacon rolls in the cafe after .

My usual sunday jaunt is short 3 mile loop , longer 5 mile loop, up to the top of Butser hill then back and sometimes the 3 miler just for fun.

Keep an eye out for the multitude of plastic DOG SH!T bags that are dumped by the trail signs, as there are no bigs and the bags are sooooo heavy.

Beware the roots if its damp , hit en square on with commitment and you’ll be fine.

Rob

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rooty bits are good fun, the climb parallel to the A3 with the roots towards the end of the climb is good fun! Oh and the downhill section on the opposite side of the hill back down towards the SDW and car park is great fun, lots of off camber roots!

Did I mention there are ROOTS?!

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, get in before it rains – it will be nice and dry this weekend. You can park at the back for free by going through Buriton. The long descent has some off-camber bits that might lead a total beginner down the hillside (‘long’ being relative, it’s a very compact place). Make the most of it and follow the south downs way towards Harting – there are some fun bridleways branching off it.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m taken a load of noobs up there Sat morning. Look for a bloke on a old SJ FSR (wife has my new FSR) with his 2 y/o son on board – its his first outing offroad, so fingers crossed he doesnt scream his head off 😆

There is plenty of other trails in and around QE park that arent and shouldnt be advertised 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

No more bacon rolls, Rob 🙁

D28boy
    Free Member

Well went on Sunday & did the orange trail first. Went ok but had to bail out & walk up a couple of very steep bits. Didn’t find the downhill parts to bad & yes there are lots of roots but managed to stay on ok. Then went to do the purple trail as a warm down but again ended up walking one particulary hilly bit, otherwise ok.At one point on the orange my back wheel was just spinning & I couldn’t get any traction or I was just wheely’ng over the top. Guess I’ve got some skills to pick up. But didn’t fall off so that was something I guess…….

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds about right for a first trip there. I’ve always said its a good place for honing the skills – lots of variety for a small area 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Southern Riders- Queen Eliz Country Park’ is closed to new replies.