• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Southampton riding – other than LW
  • DT78
    Free Member

Been riding LW for nearly a decade now, can easily do 3 hours / 25 odd mile loops there, but fancy extending out for longer rides and linking a few new spots.

Yesterday explored Hut woods near Eastleigh, couple of decent bits of singletrack but mostly a bog and not worth visiting.

Any suggestions or recommendations? If you have a garmin route it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

DT78
    Free Member

Anyone? 🙂

awh
    Free Member

Farley Mount by Winchester? We would head out the back of LW and up the lanes and bridleways to get there. That was 1997-2001 so I don’t have a gps route of it!

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Queen Elizebeth Country Park on the A3 just outside of Portsmouth, there has been a lot of work going on there in the last year improving the trails, lots of other riding (Southdowns Way, etc?) nearby as well

chojin
    Free Member

IoW? Must be something over that way!

What about the bit over the M27 – I assume you’ve already done that though

scaredypants

I’ve been in Hut Wood too – nearly cried 🙁

We found some half-decent stuff north of romsey (towards wellow etc) but I wouldn’t ride 5-10 miles to reach it

DIS

I am really enjoying LW at the moment, some great tracks. However in answer to question, then i am not sure. I plan this sping and summer to explore a bit more from LW, got my sat map to guild the way. Over the next week plan to take a trip to ‘stoke park wood’ near fair oak as heard there are some down hill and other tracks in wood, can also use the itchen way to get there or road/paths from hut wood. On the map the wood (SP) has several tracks but is also ‘open access’, looks like several tracks lead from the wood to other areas so might be worth a look.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Loads of good bridleways around Winchester/Tywford area, could link up via bridleways from Eastleigh. Stoke park woods is good, aim for the ‘corner’ nearest Eastleigh and work up the valley to find the tracks. HTH

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far, think I’ll explore Stoke Park next them. 5-10 miles to get somewhere doesn’t bother me as I’m looking to increase distance, so don’t mind bridleways. Read there is plenty on IOW but again it;s not really an easy ride from home and involves an expensive ferry ride! Looked into Farley Mount and it seemed to be a bit too far for an evening, will look again.

And I pop down to QE occassionally, and it has definitely been massively improved – however it is about a 50 minute drive for me to get there rather than a cycle straight from work(!). Swinley is a similar length drive, and (imo) offers more than QE does.

And I agree LW is riding lovely at the moment.

I was hoping to bump into the wizards and elves in hut woods like last time I was there…. obviously they don’t meet up on Monday lunch times!

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Give me a shout!

Go out from west Southampton all the time (eves and weekends)

Welcome to come along any time – and most rides involve a pub stop too! 😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

I was hoping to bump into the wizards and elves in hut woods like last time I was there…. obviously they don’t meet up on Monday lunch times!

lol.

saw them cycling home from an all night ride a few years ago – wasn’t sure it was genuine or tiredness induced hallucination!!

email me if you want a tour de winchester some time.

Steelsreal

Stoke park woods is where I grew up, wouldn’t say there is “downhill” but there are a few nice bits of single track and you can link some tracks up. Various dirt jumps around though they tend to get knocked down etc…

If you go in from Stooke park road there is a little car park. Turn left will start you off.

It is bigger than it first seems and will keep you busy…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There is an awful lot more to QE out the back by Butser if you explore. Some surprisingly good downs. 10-15yr old DH tracks which are good fun on a trail bike now.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I’m trying to be fairly strict to my training plan at the moment so don’t get much time for ‘fun’ rides (think 3hrs not letting hr get above 140…) – I;ll drop you a line to explore a few other areas next time it looks like a nice sunday and I get a pass

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Southampton riding – other than LW’ is closed to new replies.