Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • South West France this afternoon
  • paulx
    Free Member

Stuck in Western France for a couple of days without either of my ‘proper’ bikes.

But ….. in the back of the in-laws shed resides my BIL’s Decathlon €150 special. It was pretty horrible to ride with 640mm bars but then I remembered I’d left some 720 bars and stem down here last summer when I was fettling my Rumblefish. Quick bit of spannering later and the Decathlon Iron horse is transformed… sort of.

On Wednesday afternoon there is no hunting allowed in the local woods due to it being half day for the schools, so I set off for a bimble round the green lanes and dirt tracks fully equipped with proper riding gear – jeans, fleece and clumpy boots, rubbish pedals, slick tyres and 40lb bike.

Had an absolutly fantastic afternoon, not much grip in the woods but I only dropped it once.

Found a goat protected Fort.

And of course the obligatory wind turbines.

Did a respectable 22 miles. Proved to me that you don’t always need fancy sparkly bikes and special riding gear to have a good lark about.

matt_outandabout

Lovely. 😀

brassneck

Whereabouts is that? Slightly more precisely 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paulx
    Free Member

St Savinien 17350 – about 35 miles south of La Rochelle and inland a bit.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Go a little bit further SW to the Gers in Gascony and you’ll have some lovely riding, without it being the full gnarr. Try Condom (always useful advice).

wwaswas

Try Condom

An acquired taste.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Loving the goat moat.

ocrider

On Wednesday afternoon there is no hunting allowed in the local woods due to it being half day for the schools

That’s impressive. We went back to Wednesdays off in these parts and because the hunting lobby is that much more influential, there were a dozen unfit old guys in bright orange lining the roadside this afternoon to salute me on my way home from work. As it is the local custom, half of them were positioned on the opposite side of the road to the woods…

What’s that fort thing? And why does it have the GMOAT?

cchris2lou

no mud here , sadly no picture as went for a night ride ;

just north of ocrider .

always see lots of hunters but never an issue .

tthew

Is you BIL Danny Devito? Good job you also had a mile long seatpost left over from the Rumblefish build. 😀

paulx
    Free Member

Is you BIL Danny Devito? Good job you also had a mile long seatpost left over from the Rumblefish build.

That’s a Decathlon Rockrider in XL with the standard post on the limit !

dozen unfit old guys in bright orange lining the roadside

I first came across the hunt a few years ago riding in woods over one Xmas. I came belting down a track and suddenly realised that there were men with guns everywhere who weren’t to keen on me being there.

What’s that fort thing? And why does it have the GMOAT?

No idea what it is – it’s bit weird yet rather cool. The goats seem to like it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘South West France this afternoon’ is closed to new replies.