Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • South Wales Trail Association
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Is there any sort of trail users association in South Wales that has contacts outside of the MTB community (e.g. local councils, NRW, Brecon Beacons national park)?

If not, is it worth starting one?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve never heard if one. What would the purpose of such an association be anyway. Private land aside there doesn’t seem to be a problem riding more or less anywhere in S.Wales ?

IdleJon

never heard if one. What would the purpose of such an association be anyway. Private land aside there doesn’t seem to be a problem riding more or less anywhere in S.Wales ?

I agree with this ^^^

There doesn’t seem much need because there are so few problems, but tell us what you’re thinking, sideshow.

smett72

Might be worth considering setting one up, if only so you have a voice. The Lake District Mountain Bike Association was set up about 12 months ago after some trail ‘maintenance’ was carried out.

From the LDMBA website:

About LDMBA
    Formed in March 2014 in response to the way local authorities were carrying out trail surfacing work. Local mountain bikers became upset by the unsympathetic nature of the surfacing work and by the lack of communication between the local authorities and regular trail users. The formation of the association was welcomed by local authorities and has since rapidly evolved, we have a following of over 850 riders and a 12 person committee with the following aims and objectives……

Mission

The LDMBA promotes socially and environmentally responsible use of trails. We feel that current Rights of Way legislation does not represent the current demands of all user groups.

The Lake District Mountain Bike Association Aim.

To be the representative body for off road cycling in the Lake District.

Our Objectives

To be the point of communication between Landowners, local authorities and the off-road cycling community with a particular interest in the following areas –

– Improved access for off-road cycling in the lakes

– Ensuring that maintenance of Rights of Way in the National Park considers the varied needs of off-road cyclists

– Promote awareness within the cycling community on Environmental issues

– Promote good practice for off road cycling in the National Park.

Our Role

The following diagram attempts to show the existing framework for consultation of users of the National Park and how the LDMBA will be used to ensure the requirements of off road cyclists are considered.

milky1980
    Free Member

We’re spoilt with some of the best trail centres in the UK. The Beacons National Park actively encourages mountain bikers to visit by publishing suggested routes and allowing large events to take place. The only public place bikes aren’t allowed that I can think of is Caerphilly Common, which has routes round it for us to use. Pembrokeshire’s a bit sparse for riding spots but would that be classed as South Wales?

There isn’t one I know of, one would be a good idea but there hasn’t been a need to have one so far. We pretty much have free-reign over the place!!

sideshow
    Free Member

Well, my thinking is it’s good to have one before the need arises (as riders in the Lakes and Peaks discovered to their cost already).

This follows news of a bit of singletrack in Castle Woods getting gravelled – not something I disagree with in this case but you never know when your favourite local trail might get the sanitization treatment?

It would give us a voice to address council/landowners/managers and give them a means to communicate with us as well.

Whether either side actually listens to the other is another matter! I’d say it’s useful to have a channel of communication open whether it’s heeded or not. Bear in mind most other outdoor pursuits have this sort of thing nationally (Ramblers, BMC, BCU, BHPA, …); in mountain biking it’s a notable absence. Local groups would be a start.

P-Jay
    Free Member

A good start would be speaking to the South Wales Mountain Bike Ranger (Bob) he’s pretty vocal on Facebook and a decent bloke too.

I’m not sure what his remit is, but he seems happy to be involved in anything MTB related in the area – I once asked him about formalising some local rider-built trails that have been “tolerated” for years, he was already on the case.

As others have said, we’ve got it pretty good here in SW, Local Government are very pro-MTB and it’s one of their main focuses for driving tourism.

taxi25
    Free Member

This follows news of a bit of singletrack in Castle Woods getting gravelled – not something I disagree with in this case but you never know when your favourite local trail might get the sanitization treatment?

“Dogger dodging” gone forever 😥

IdleJon

the South Wales Mountain Bike Ranger (Bob) h

I’ve been riding MTBs in S Wales for decades and wasn’t aware we had a Ranger! Who us he? What does he do? Who pays him? I’m intrigued.

Where’s Castle Woods btw?

SaxonRider

Castle Woods includes the network of trails behind Castell Coch in Tongwynlais.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Whoa there! I google “Castle Woods” and was shown some place down west – I didn’t realise you were talking about Fforest Fawr Tongwynlais!!!

What the **** have they been doing up there?!

Those were the exact trails I was talking to Bob about – he was trying to get something a bit more recognised up there. A mate of mine is from Ton and said it was a bit of a logistical nightmare – we side of the road belongs to FC, one side to someone else and there’s some environmental concern about a type of follow that’s unique to the area or something.

It’s my little slice of heaven after-work in Summer.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@idleJon.

HE was appointed during the Cognation Project, I believe he’s paid by Natural Resources Wales now, but was formally by FC.

I think he coordinates the trail crews for Afan and Cwmcarn and he’s the guy to speak to about downed trees and stuff, but he’s involved in other non-trail centre stuff like Van Road and such.

If you’re on FB

https://www.facebook.com/mtbranger.southwales/about

IdleJon

I guessed that Castle Woods might be near Castell Coch but was just checking seeing as we have so many castles down here. It’s been a while since I last rode up there.

And thanks P-Jay.

davidjey
    Free Member

Castell Coch, Forest Fawr, Castle Woods, call it what you will….I too was dismayed to find that some of the singletrack has been ‘done’. Not a very interesting bit granted, but it does make you wonder where these things might lead.

It’s my local patch too and I’d be happy to help in any way I can, or just be better informed of what is going on up there. Keep me posted.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I work in Taff’s so I might pop up lunchtime and have a look at the ‘damage’ – it’s not exactly RedBull Rampage on the bits that run along the side of the Golf Course, but it’s a fun spin and there were some cool little roots and that bit where if you picked your line just right you could swoop along the side of a mud patch between the branches.

dragon
    Free Member

They’ve been wanting to gravel lots of the Castle woods for years, there was a proposal for wheelchair access years ago.

Sadly I’m old enough to remember when the climb into the woods from the castle wasn’t graveled or have the handrail.

sideshow
    Free Member

To be clear, I think in this particular case it’s a good place to add wheelchair access, I think we can sacrifice a couple of roots on a flat trail for people who are severely limited in getting outdoors at all. The forest is right outside Cardiff and we do share it with others!

But it’s still a good point to review the situation and think about how well represented we are round here (outside of trail centres, that is).

Is this MTB ranger guy the ex copper who built the Copper Gnarl trail? Opposite side from the castle and now defunct due to forestry/conservation work but good while it lasted…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just popped up, it looks quite good (from a non-riding point of view) and at least, looking at the map anyway, only effects a short bit of flat trail – the gully seems to be safe, but I didn’t have the time to walk that far.

My take my daughter for a push along it in her Pram this weekend.

davidjey
    Free Member

To be clear, I think in this particular case it’s a good place to add wheelchair access, I think we can sacrifice a couple of roots on a flat trail for people who are severely limited in getting outdoors at all. The forest is right outside Cardiff and we do share it with others!

Completely agree. My concern was I had no idea it was happening or why it was done until it happened, which makes you wonder what else might ‘just happen’ to other bits of trail.

On some of the dodgier cut-in lines around the gully I’ve noticed the odd bit of log-blocking going on over the winter, which does suggest there may be some wider conflict issues. Mind, you the logs were obviously laid down by someone with no idea what a 29er will roll over 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘South Wales Trail Association’ is closed to new replies.