• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ploeb.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • South Wales Riding Not Cmw Carn, BPW or Afan – where else?
  • Sui
    Free Member

Just looking for something a bit different as I’ve done them (except BPW) lots of times. Needs to be South for day trip from Surrey way.

I know there is Brecon, but I’m not sure if there is a specific trail centre as such. Cant be arsed with Maps*!

ta

*yes I can read them.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cwm rhaeadr, brechfa and afan all worth a visit

Sui
    Free Member

Brechfa is on the list. Never heard of Cmw Rhaeadr..?!

faustus

Cwm rhaedr is great, but too short for a trip all the way from Surrey…Brechfa is close to it and more comprehensive. Shame you can’t be arsed with a map, as so many places in south wales would reward you for reading it!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why don’t you ride afan on the Saturday.. stay overnight then Cwm rhaeadr and brechfa on the Sunday.

v666ern
    Free Member

fod / Ashton court then swindon on the way back?

Sui
    Free Member

Would love to, but restricted to day passes..

philwarren11
    Free Member

Blaengarw and Margam Park? Blaengarw is small but it can be ridden a lot with the shortcuts and figure of eight shape with the black at the top and blue lower.

Or failing that im sure someone will show you round somewhere like, Wyllie, Machen etc..

AndrewJ
    Free Member

There’s no trail centre as such in Brecon.

The Gap is a nice natural loop that you can start from just north of Merthyr Tydfil. It takes you right through the Breacon Beacons to Talybont on Usk where’s there’s a lovely little cafe for a mid ride stop. Then climb back the other side of the Talybont valley and descend back to the start. It’s around 28 miles and is basically 2 long climbs and 2 long descents with some road linking them.

I can send you a GPX if you are interested?

Stiggy

AndrewJ: would you mind sending me that GPX please? BenDOTchapman2ATbtinternetDOTcom, cheers in advance 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you must have a trail centre (as you don’t want maps) then you have the list already. Cwm Rhaeder and Brechfa are a bit too far for a day trip IMO.

If you are prepared to read a map you can ride Brecon’s, Black Mountains, loops from Crickhowell etc.

You can reach Forest of Dean in about same amount of time as Afan.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I’ll email it in the morning Stiggy

Stiggy

Great, thanks.

andydawks
    Free Member

you could do a loop in the black mountains? closer to the bridge than brecon and the natural single track riding is some of the best there is. if you don’t want to read a map – get a guide – rob from wild rides is good. http://www.wild-rides.co.uk

AndrewJ
    Free Member

You got mail Stiggy

scottfitz
    Free Member

Why not go to BPW if you have not been there? When was the last time you went to Afan and Cmw Carn? both have new trails.

zilog6128

The Gap is a nice natural loop that you can start from just north of Merthyr Tydfil. It takes you right through the Breacon Beacons to Talybont on Usk where’s there’s a lovely little cafe for a mid ride stop. Then climb back the other side of the Talybont valley and descend back to the start. It’s around 28 miles and is basically 2 long climbs and 2 long descents with some road linking them.

I can send you a GPX if you are interested?Hi AndrewJ, would much appreciate it if you could send me the gpx too please, as I will be up that way next month! Email in profile.

maxtorque

Ooh, me too please! Email in profile! 😉

Sui
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps. I appreciate the comments on taking a map, but time is limited on this one and I’d normally like to prepare if im doing something like this and/or use local knowledge.

jairaj

You’re missing out on some great natural rides if you only want trail centres.

Also Afan and Cwn Carn have new trails have you ridden them yet?

HughStew

The Gap is great but even with the Pontsicill extension not really an all dayer, if that’s what you’re looking for. How about the Black Mountain Killer loop? One of my favourites, even tho’ I haven’t done it for a good few years. 3 times over the Black Mountains, with about a 20 min carry up unless you’re a riding God.

Google will provide plenty of links.

booktownman
    Free Member

Andydawks – cheers ;o)

Sui – the Black Mountains Killer loop is an option as suggested above, you could start the ride at the Crickhowell end to save a bit of driving time, it’s probably a three hour drive.

The Blacks are the closest proper mountains to London & SE. If you’re considering getting a group together and want some guiding to make things easier, feel free to give me a shout at http://www.wild-rides.co.uk, as kindly suggested by Andy.

Just taken some lads from one of the mtb mags out today, I think they had a good time either side of the massive thunderstorm!

Cheers,

BTM

ploeb
    Free Member

CLosest would be Wentwood, get off the M4 at Magor, first junction after the severn bridge. Drive about 3 miles towards Penhow, park in the foresters oaks car park here http://www.ukcarparks.info/foresters-oak-picnic-site-car-park-caldicot#sthash.lssrtUIz.dpbs
    Ride wherever you want, up down, whatever, you dont really need a map.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘South Wales Riding Not Cmw Carn, BPW or Afan – where else?’ is closed to new replies.