Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • South Wales… Better than North? :)
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Every year me and my brother travel to North Wales to ride places like Coed-y-Brenin, Penmachno, Llandegla etc. This year we were going to add the Antur Stiniog too.

However there are some good places to stay down in South Wales, Swansea area. Looking on Mtbwales I see Afan and Cwm Carn close.

So… if we stick to North Wales will we be missing out? Or is South Wales the place to be?

* Preferred style of riding – All mountain, nothing ‘too’ DH as my brother isn’t a massive fan 🙂 *

Thanks!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Live in the Swansea Valley. Would say there is a greater range of stuff to – from trail centres to mountains all within a short distance.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Gogledd every time

GSuperstar
    Free Member

@Junkyard – Can you be a bit more specific? Google maps brings up loads of places…

superfli
    Free Member

IMO North Wales has a lot more trail centre to offer. I would go there more often, but its another 2hrs drive for me. I’m thinking Mach and northwards.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Haha, I think our man in the north there has stumped you with the old siarad Cymraeg, gogledd is ‘north’, hence those who live up yonder being referred to as ‘gogs’. De (south) has it’s merits, it’s all good, bawb yn dda!

Ambrose

Sut mae pawb 😉

De Gymru yma.

surf1666
    Free Member

South Wales for a good mix of trail centres and natural. Just arid Strava for local tracks where ever you land!

beefheart
    Free Member

Mid is where it’s at. Best of both worlds.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ah definitely had me there!

Well the main factor is that we’ve been to North Wales for the last 6 years. If we get 4 rides in it’s usually the ones listed in my first post.

I’m thinking south Wales would offer a new lease of life for visiting different non-mtb places, and Afan alone seems to have 3 trails of interest, with cwmcarn offering another couple.

I might have to add up the votes at the end of this one for and against 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Lived in both for a decent amount of time 🙂

If you’ve not been to the South, then you’ve got the Afan, Cwm carn, Brecfa is a must, Cwm Rhaedyr.

If you planned a good trip, you could take in those then head up to Nant yr Arian, and the Macx then go up to Gogland for more 🙂

aye-aye
    Free Member

If you’ve ridden the North Wales trails a lot then it’s definitely worth a trip to ride new ones.
    Afan Argoed has plenty to ride and a new “bikepark” section which is good fun.
    Cwmcarn is short but worth riding (the DH track is great too btw)
    Brechfa has Red and Black trails which are good
    Cwm Rheadr is a good short blast and there are many more
    Also the Forest of Dean is close and has 2 marked XC trails as well as loads of DH tracks which can be ridden on any bike and have a reasonably short fireroad climb/push-up

nigelb001
    Free Member

Gethin Park, Merthyr will be the one to beat when it is completed this autumn. I can’t wait, it’s only 15 mins away for me.

grum
    Free Member

South Wales is the best spot for crime, if that’s what you’re into. 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wales isnt big enough to have a North south and mid. Do it all in a week.

bwaarp
    Free Member

+1 for cwmcarn

saxabar
    Free Member

Both great – but go North when you want an ‘epic’ feel.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Why don’t you come to north Wales And not ride the trail centers? There’s loads you haven’t ridden yet. Check out http://www.northwalestrails.co.uk and have a chat with them.

weeksy

There’s not much in it if you ask me, they’re both quite generic trailcentres and great fun.

hydrophil
    Free Member

Shropshire

rickon
    Free Member

Wales isnt big enough to have a North south and mid

You’ve not met the locals then 😉

RustySpanner

Well the main factor is that we’ve been to North Wales for the last 6 years. If we get 4 rides in it’s usually the ones listed in my first post.

There’s loads of natural stuff in North Wales.
    You’re really, really missing out if you just stick to the trail centres.

The Bikefax guidebook is a good start, as well as plecostomus’s link above.

Conway Mountain, quarries at Llanberis, Moel Y Ci, Sarn Helen, there’s just so much to go at – the lack of bridleways can be a problem, things don’t link up as much as they could, but there’s usually a way. 🙂

cubemeup
    Free Member

south wales
    Cwmcarn XC & DH
    Garw (new loop) near bridgend
    Afan (W2)
    IMO beast place to ride in wales for local stuff like machen, wyllie etc

North Wales
    Snowdon Rangers Path
    Antur Stiniog (been up twice and loved it)
    Llandegla
    Coed

But dont forget in south wales yuou also have FoD which is a cracking day out

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘South Wales… Better than North? :)’ is closed to new replies.