Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • South Manchester Vs Hampshire
  • hora
    Free Member

Brooess you did the right thing.

Op you lose rocks but get flowing trails…

Plus Manchester is full of Oompah Loompahs in heels.

weeksy

I’m a Scouser who lives down South, just outside Hampshire really…

There’s less theft, less thugs, rides within 1 min of my door, there’s Swinley Forest, Afan down the M4 along with Cwmcarn, there’s no stupid **** mancunian accents and the stupid posturing and waving of the shellsuited hands about while wearing a stupid hat.

Your kids will thank you for the higher standards of education, the increased wealth and the far far nicer place to live.

hora
    Free Member

Just to balance things out- I lived in St Marys and the Flowers Estate in Southampton- lorra lorra crime round there. Like everywhere really- your only a few streets away from those that want your stuff…..unless its certain parts of Surrey then they are too busy stealing bigger stuffer manipulating the markets.. 😆

weeksy

hora – Member
    Just to balance things out- I lived in St Marys and the Flowers Estate in Southampton-

We have countrside down here and everything.

My nearest ‘estate’ is 10 miles.

hora
    Free Member

You talk ‘funny’ though

weeksy

hora – Member
    You talk ‘funny’ though

Happily i still talk with my Scouse accent, however yes, down here that is percieved as ‘funny’

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Then you have North Wales, Peaks, Pennines, Lakes, Gisburn etc etc etc all within 1-2 hours. No contest really.

I beg to differ. 🙂 (as a midlander who cut his teeth riding The Peaks and has lived in Hants for 20+ years now)
    We have South Wales, the Mendips, the Chilterns, the Cotswolds, the Downs (north and south) the Purbecks and untold hills and forests in between. Plus I can get anywhere in the world to ride with 2 big airports a train ride away. Or hop on a ferry to France…. No cars involved….
    Yes, I suppose if ‘better = higher’ then you’re right but there’s more to MTBing than the highest hill IMO. And there’s more to cycling than just MTBing as well, isn’t there?
    Don’t get me wrong, I love riding in the North just as much as the next rider but simply saying ‘no contest’ is blinkered and misinformed to the extreme 🙂
    And there’s also more to life than just cycling too. The south has better weather and less chips on people’s shoulders 😉
    Neither is better of worse in the long run, it’s personal preference, no more than that.

plyphon
    Free Member

Just to balance things out- I lived in St Marys and the Flowers Estate in Southampton- lorra lorra crime round there. Like everywhere really- your only a few streets away from those that want your stuff…..unless its certain parts of Surrey then they are too busy stealing bigger stuffer manipulating the markets..

SMMB + wot m8

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Manchester wins hands down surely? You’ll get at least twice as big a house and a man cave fro the price of a southern terraced house. Move localy to Manchester to get some better ‘from the door’ riding.

The grass is always greener though. I lived near Guisbrough for a year and a half and missed the singletrack at Tunnle Hill,Minley,Cesars, Crowthorne, Swinely, Porrige Pot, etc. Now I’m back and have itchy feet for some propper hills to climb and downhill tracks to ride again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Now I’m back and have itchy feet for some propper hills to climb .

**cough**
    Cotswolds
    **cough**

🙂

tonyd

I live in Hampshire and while I love it here I was going to suggest you move to the Lakes and commute rather than come down here. Reading the whole thread and now I’m not so sure! It is nice down here and there’s some great riding if you like XC (and trees, I frickin LOVE trees), but if it’s hilly rocky gnar you’re after it won’t be for you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I grew up in Hampshire and live in Surrey. From an MTB perspective the choice is a no brainer in favour of Manchester.

If you start to consider other non-biking factors you may or may swing back in favour of Hampshire (just seen @Weeksy’s post – 😀 )

scottfitz
    Free Member

Rogate/QECP both within riding distance – i quite fancy a bit of a dig too.

yes please could do with helps at QECP, we got a busy 2013 including 3 Races (XC one, DH one and another one)!

Also don’t forget Stoghton DH off your list. Its As good if not better than rogate.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

To be fair Hampshire is a pretty varied county.

Big difference from the ‘posh’ towns up near Surrey and somewhere like Portsmouth or Southampton or the more remote ‘bumpkin’ areas.

Even terrain can be vastly different, going from the Swinley type wooded trails to open chalk hills to sandy forest down near Ringwood/New Forest.

I grew up in a hamlet in the Bourne Valley in North Hampshire and even they have changed massively in the last 20 years with new money/London rejects moving in and swamping the villages. If i go home now i barely recognise anyone 🙁

weeksy

If i go home now i barely recognise anyone

Yeah but you can recognise the locals by their fingers and webbed feet ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

**cough**
    Cotswolds
    **cough**

Highest point is 330m 😛 barely a molehill.

Yak

Scaled – i’ve done that move.

Yeah- miss the rocks and bigger hills, but right now, i’m enjoying the new variety of terrain -woodsy singletrack, QECP, the south downs and lots of events and races both off and on-road in close proximity.

Only change i’ve made is on my ss from 32:18 in the Peak to 32:16 here!

Beer IS better down south too 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

Personally I find tight twisty wooded Southern singletrack gives me a much bigger buzz than big rocky Peaks days out.
    I also think I’m fitter – better and more consistent weather means more and longer riding days.
    Oh and your drivetrain will last about 10 times longer!

scaled
    Free Member

nbt: i’d rather you didnt announce it on the internets that I tried a pint of that pisswater you refer to as mild*

The joys of being down south i suppose is decent cider, although i have found addlestones on tap at the mark addy

*alright so it was quite nice,

philfive
    Free Member

missed a few for manchester.

all within 90 Minutes

Lee quarry
    Gisburn
    South Lakes
    Calderdale
    Sheffield and Greno Woods
    Rivington
    North wales
    Pennines
    Mary townley loop

the list is huge.

My best mate moved down south with work and hates the riding down there, He says the hill behind my house is bigger than most down south.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m in Denton and hope in the peaks is in a car 15 mins from my door step

Is it heck – maybe by helicopter or in the small hours of the morning in a Porsche 911 Turbo, but no way is it 15 minutes drive from Denton to Hope under any normal conditions. I live closer to Hope than you and it takes me significantly longer than 15 minutes to get there.

Anyway, I’m moving to Hampshire, it sounds like the mountain biking’s way better than round here.

scaled
    Free Member

Again, here’s the rub – At the weekend I have to leave the house at 7am on a saturday morning for my riding, if it’s my turn to drive i have to pick my mate up (+20 mins)

I have to be home by 1300ish for family things so 90 mins each way is 50% of my leisure time

My best mate moved down south with work and hates the riding down there, He says the hill behind my house is bigger than most down south.

Do you live by asda?

nbt

At the weekend I have to leave the house at 7am on a saturday morning for my riding, if it’s my turn to drive i have to pick my mate up (+20 mins)

If you lived in Marple, you could have ridden up to Mellor Cross and be in the wild in 20 minutes. Setting off at 7am you could do the jacob’s ladder loop from home and still be home in time to wash the bike before 1pm.

scaled
    Free Member

Or not wash the bike and stay out for a pint!

Trouble is i wont be able to talk the mrs in to moving to marple 🙁

nbt

But she;d be happy to move to hampshire? manchester or hampshire won’t matter if she wants to live in town again and you have to drive to the ride once you move down south. It’s not manchester that’s the issue here, it’s where you live “in Manchester”. What’s her issue with Marple? there are loads of little towns round the south and east that have good access to riding and a railway into town

oh and midday pints, eh? Oh you decadent southerners

scaled
    Free Member

It’s a family thing mate, my parents, her cousins, my grandparents all down south.

We moved up here to be closer to her Dad who died this year, the riding isn’t the deciding factor.

To be honest I’ve no idea where i want to live, riding my bike is my favourite passtime and the thought of leaving the Peak District behind is freaking me out way more than it should!

Garry_Lager

At the end of the day, scaled, humans are very adaptable creatures. That’s the reason we’re the stupendous badasses of planet earth.

So the first couple of weeks bimbling around Hampshire will be sort of embarrassing, but give it a month and you’ll have started to see an attraction. Give it a year and you’ll be on here telling us all about the flowing singletrack and how cider shandy is such a nice drink.

matt1986
    Free Member

Is it heck – maybe by helicopter or in the small hours of the morning in a Porsche 911 Turbo, but no way is it 15 minutes drive from Denton to Hope under any normal conditions. I live closer to Hope than you and it takes me significantly longer than 15 minutes to get there.

I stayed there and it took us 15 mins timed fair enough it was 1 pm on an Monday afternoon but we did it. And I wish it was in a 911 turbo unfortunately it was in an Astra estate with 2 kids

singletrackmind

Hampshire
    Coz me and Dez live here . Now thats decided, within 45 mins from Debz’s house we can ride.-
    Swinley / Tunnel Hill /Porridgepot etc.
    Stanmer Park ( Big Dog )
    Kingly Vale
    Whiteways
    Devils Punchbowl and surrounding woodland.
    North Downs
    South Downs
    Surrey Flats ( no hills .- honest )

My brother lives in Sth Manc ( Gatley ) and the riding is good , and different . We have more trees , more singletrack , less rocks, more mud .

plyphon
    Free Member

No ones mentioned Lords Wood 😉

scottfitz
    Free Member

heres a small list i have put together 1 hour from me:

XC:
    QECP
    South downs way
    Hindhead
    Lordswood
    New forest
    Kingley Vale
    Whiteways
    Stammer Park
    Styning
    Peaslake
    North Downs
    Swinley forest
    Tunnel Hill
    Longmoor
    Blackdown

If we up it to 90mis as above:
    Loads!

DH:
    Gravity Project
    Rogate
    Hindhead
    Lordswood
    QECP (in 2013)
    Stoughton DH
    Watchmoor Bike Park
    Tidworth

If we up it to 90mis as above:
    UK Bike Park
    Puddletown Woods
    PORC
    Bulltrack
    Aston Hill

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

Go down South to please your missus with the concession that you get extra weekends away for riding!

BadlyWiredDog

I stayed there and it took us 15 mins timed fair enough it was 1 pm on an Monday afternoon but we did it. And I wish it was in a 911 turbo unfortunately it was in an Astra estate with 2 kids

Well, google maps has the road distance from Denton to Hope at 25 miles so you managed to average 100mph, which is quite impressive even for an Astra estate. Respect 🙂

philfive
    Free Member

Scaled, what you mean by near Asda?

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘South Manchester Vs Hampshire’ is closed to new replies.