Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • South Facing Home
  • TeamAldi
    Free Member

Went to look at a house today which is south facing but has tall trees about 4 metres from the house. Difficult to say this time of year but trying to work out how much sunlight the house would get rest of the year?

Went to have a look this evening at 4pm, garden overshadowed totally.

Any thoughts?

Pook

Your trees if you get the house? Lop them down.

TeamAldi
    Free Member

No belong to council.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Next

trail_rat
    Free Member

screw the light – tall trees 4 m from house …..

potential for subsidance issues if they do take decide to take them down anyway.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

The front of the house will be warmer and brighter usually, even with trees. unless they are big trees and then it will be less so. stating the obvious. personally I’d be asking how much use you’ll have for the front garden, if its the main outside space then great but if it has a back garden then maybe it will mean the back will be cold and dark and not as nice. More info needed.

MoreCashThanDash

Tall trees 4m from the house itself and it wouldn’t be the light that would worry me, more like the risk from subsidence, damage to drains and storm damage.

If they are the councils trees, wouldn’t be surprised if they are protected as well. If it is your dream house, ask lots of pointed questions of the sellers regarding issues with the trees and what maintenance of them, and be ready to battle the council and your new tree loving neighbours.

If not dream house, walk away.

ajc
    Free Member

As above. But add if the soil is clay then leave well alone.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Unless you like living in the dark I would avoid it. You can contact the council to ask about the status of the trees and whether they could be trimmed back, I suspect the current owner would have asked also and the fact that they are still there suggests the council is unwilling to do that. Seems to be a lose-lose too as you’ll get no light in the summer and spend time raking up someone else’s leaves. Have a look at the garden (is it grass?) if it has a lot of moss/lichen then that shows it’s damp and dark.

rocketman
    Free Member

has tall trees about 4 metres from the house

walk away. houses + trees = total pita they only get bigger

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘South Facing Home’ is closed to new replies.